This page is intended to be a resource to managers of student employees who work on campus at either federal work study or department funded positions at USM.
What is the difference between federal work student student jobs and department funded student jobs?
For a student to obtain a federal work study funded student job, the student needs to have federal work study funds included in their financial aide package after completing the FAFSA. More information about this can be found on the Student Finanical Services website. Any USM student is eligible to obtain a department funded student job, regardless of whether they received federal work study or not.
Hiring a student employee? Follow these steps:
- Complete the Human Resources Security Authorization form.
- Send completed form to Tamara Saarinen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Create your student job description using USM’s pre-existing list and create a job ad.
- Create a profile on USM’s online job posting board, USMCareerConnections, and post your job ad.
- Once you have selected a student to hire, complete the work authorization form online, print and sign it.
- Have the student complete I-9 paperwork and verify their employment eligibility.
- Fax or email the Work Authorization form to 207-561-3456 or email@example.com.
- Instruct students to complete their direct deposit information and tax allowances for state and federal taxes in their MaineStreet Self-Service.
- Show students how to enter their time into MaineStreet at the end of each day they work to ensure they are paid on time!
Resources for Student Supervisors:
Resources for Students:
Student Employment Questions?
Allie Platts, Student Employment Specialist