This page is intended to be a resource to managers of student employees who work on campus at either federal work study or department funded positions at USM.
What is the difference between federal work student student jobs and department funded student jobs?
For a student to obtain a federal work study funded student job, the student needs to have federal work study funds included in their financial aide package after completing the FAFSA. More information about this can be found on the Student Finanical Services website. Any USM student is eligible to obtain a department funded student job, regardless of whether they received federal work study or not.
Hiring a student employee? Follow these steps:
- Complete the Human Resources Security Authorization form and send to Tamara Saarinen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the Supervisor Online Training via Blackboard. (Sent from Tamara)
- Create your student job description using USM’s pre-existing list and customize to your department's needs.
- Create a profile on USM’s online job posting board, USMCareerConnections, and post your job ad.
- Conduct interviews of applicants and select a student to hire.
- Complete the work authorization form online for your selected student and print and sign it.
- Have the student complete I-9 paperwork, Direct Deposit and W-4 ME and W-4 Federal.
- Fax or email the Work Authorization form, I-9, Direct Deposit and W-4s to 207-561-3456 or email@example.com.
- Show students how to enter their time into MaineStreet at the end of each day they work to ensure they are paid on time.
Resources for Student Supervisors:
Resources for Students:
Student Employment Questions?
Contact the USM Career Hub