This page is intended to be a resource to managers of student employees who work on campus at either federal work study or department funded positions at USM.
What is the difference between federal work student student jobs and department funded student jobs?
For a student to obtain a federal work study funded student job, the student needs to have federal work study funds included in their financial aide package after completing the FAFSA. More information about this can be found on the Student Finanical Services website. Any USM student is eligible to obtain a department funded student job, regardless of whether they received federal work study or not.
Resources for Managers of Student Workers:
Paperwork managers/supervisors are required to submit to payroll in order to hire a new student employee:
I-9 Form, Work Authorization & Employee/Supervisor Agreement from the Work Authorization online Tool
Are you new to hiring student employees? Instructions for how to hire student employees:
- Complete this form to gain access to the Work authorization tool- In addition to processing your hire, this tool will allow you to confirm the financial aid funding the student has and/or their status as an active USM student. To hire student employees: https://usm.maine.edu/sites/default/files/human-resources/fhrsa.pdf
- After completing that form and sending to Tamara, you can do the following-
- Determine your student job desription and create a job ad.
- Post your job ad to Simplicity (the website students use to find a job): https://usm.maine.edu/community-engagement-career-development/usmcareerconnections
- Once you have selected a student, complete the work authorization form with them (in the Work Authorization tool): https://webapp.usm.maine.edu/StudentWorkAuth/
- Send in that Work Authorization & Employee/Supervisor agreement, along with their completed I-9 form (http://usm.maine.edu/sites/default/files/human-resources/i-9-paper-version.pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instruct students to complete their direct deposit information and tax allowances for state and federal taxes in their MaineStreet self service.
- Ensure they know how to enter their time into MaineStreet at the end of each day they work to ensure they are paid on time!
Additional Resources for Student Workers: