F-1 and J-1 dependents are defined as a spouse of opposite gender and/or an unmarried child under the age of 21. Parents, siblings (brothers/sisters) housekeepers and child care providers do not qualify as dependents and they must come to the US on tourist visas.
In order to bring a dependent to stay with you in the US the following information must be provided for each dependent.
- Family name in passport
- Given name in passport
- City of Birth
- Country of Birth
- Country of Citizenship
- Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Readable copy of passport biographical page
- Relationship to you: spouse or child
- Proof of marriage in original language with an English translation if not already in English
- Birth certificate or adoption certificate listing you as the parent/legal guardian of child
You must also provide evidence of financial support for each dependent.
- $800 per month for the 1st dependent
- $400 per month for each additional dependent
This funding must be above and beyond what you are using for your own expenses.
Dependents will need to apply for an F-2/J-2 visa at a US consulate/embassy abroad before entering the US. They will NOT need to pay the SEVIS fee.
|F-2 dependent restrictions:|
|J-2 dependent restrictions:|