Office of International Programs

Bringing Dependents

F-1 and J-1 dependents are defined as a spouse of opposite gender and/or an unmarried child under the age of 21.

Due to current federal immigration law, same-sex partners/spouses of F1/J1 students are not eligible for dependent status.

Parents, housekeepers and child care providers do not qualify as dependents and they must come to the US on tourist visas.

In order to bring a dependent to stay with you in the US the following information must be provided for each dependent.

  • Family name in passport
  • Given name in passport
  • City of Birth
  • Country of Birth
  • Country of Citizenship
  • Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
  • Readable copy of passport biographical page
  • Relationship to you: spouse or child
  • Proof of marriage in original language with an English translation if not already in English
  • Birth certificate or adoption certificate listing you as the parent/legal guardian of child

You must also provide evidence of financial support for each dependent.

  • $800 per month for the 1st dependent
  • $400 per month for each additional dependent

This funding must be above and beyond what you are using for your own expenses.

F-2 dependent restrictions:

  1. May enter the US with or after the F-1 student, but not before.
  2. Cannot work.
  3. Must have their I-20 form each time they travel outside the US.
  4. Cannot be admitted or enrolled as a full time degree seeking student. Only classes that are recreational in nature are allowed. This means part-time study for personal interest, such as cooking or tennis.  (A child in F-2 status may attend K-12 schools. They must apply for an F-1 to enroll in college)
  5. Can only remain on F-2 status as long as the F-1 maintains his/her status.

J-2 dependent restrictions:

  1. May enter the US with or after the J-1 student/scholar but not before.
  2. J-2's can apply for work permission from USCS as long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1.
  3. Must have their DS-2019 form each time they travel outside the US.
  4. May study full or part time.
  5. Can only remain in J-2 status as long as the J-1 maintains his/her status.

Dependents will need to apply for an F-2/J-2 visa at a US consulate/embassy abroad before entering the US. They will NOT need to pay the SEVIS fee.