Office of International Programs

Course Registration

The course registration process is different for various groups of students depending on your academic level or program. We have tried to include everyone in the instructions but if you have questions about your individual situation please do not hesitate to ask.

International EXCHANGE and NATIONAL EXCHANGE Students:

Exchange students will register with Kimberly or Kaoru in the International Programs office. We are already working with students individually to help develop a schedule and by now everyone should have their fall schedule in place. If you have questions or concerns about your schedule please contact us immediately at  There will be a small window to make changes to your schedule after your arrival in late August but the sooner you can settle your courses the better as classes will begin to fill up.

English as a Second Language Students (ESOL/ESL)

The ESOL and International Programs Offices will register you prior to your arrival in late August.  On days 1 & 2 of the Fall semester you will take a placement test. This test will determine your English level so that we can match you with the best instructor to meet your English language needs and help you to be successful. 

Undergraduate Degree Candidates 

Incoming Undergraduate Degree candidates must work with an Advisor in the office of Student Success. The International Programs Office can tell you who your Student Success Advisor will be and provide contact information. They can offer you suggestions via e-mail on your initial schedule based on your major and any transfer credits you may have.

Course schedules can be adjusted after your arrival. However, we recommend that you set your schedule as soon as possible since courses will fill up quickly.

In order to complete your degree at USM you must complete:

  • English language coursework or document proficiency
  • The Core Curriculum
  • Major Coursework (see the 2011-12 USM catalog to learn more about your major)
  • and Minor coursework if you have selected a minor or general electives
  • All of these course must add up to 120 credits
  • Students may transfer in credits from other schools which may meet some of the above requirements

If you would like to look at this list of available courses for the fall 2012 semester you may use the online course search.

To receive contact information for your Student Success Advisor please contact Kimberly in the International Exchange Office.

Law Exchange Students

Incoming Law Exchange students should contact Dean Sherry Abbott regarding their academic schedules. She can work with you to develop a preliminary schedule and will assist you with the registration process.

Graduate Degree Candidates

Graduate Degree students should work directly with their Academic Advisor in their department to register for courses. The name and contact information for your academic advisor would have been included in your Admission letter from USM.