Now that you know when to arrive the question is how to get here. There are several ways to travel to Portland, Maine.
1. Fly directly to Portland, MAINE
Be careful to select Portland, Maine....there is also a Portland, Oregon which is way on the other side of the country.
This option might be a bit more expensive but it certainly is the easiest. The Portland International Jetport is served by several major carriers including:
Delta Air Lines
The Portland International Jetport is also connected with several major hubs including New York, Washington, Atlanta, Chicago and Detroit.
2. Fly into Boston
Boston Logan International Airport located in Boston, Massachusetts is a large airport with several international flights coming and going each day. Many students find that it is cheaper to fly into Boston and then make their way to Portland, Maine using the bus or train. Logan Airport is served by over 20 major carriers including many international airlines.
3. Getting from Boston, MA to Portland, ME
If you choose to fly into the Boston Logan Airport you still need to get yourself to Portland, Maine. It is approximately a 2 hour drive.
There are 2 ways to get to Portland. One is via Concord Coach Lines Bus and the second is by using the Amtrak train system.
- We highly recommend Concord Coach as their buses leave directly from Logan airport and they offer many more departures during the day and evening. The fare is $27.00 one way from Boston to Portland. Visit the Concord Coach website to view their departure schedule. Remember you are trying to get from Logan Airport to Portland, ME.
- Your second option is the Amtrak. They DO NOT leave from Logan Airport. You will have to take a taxi to North Station (about a 5-10 minute ride from the airport). The train that goes from Boston to Maine is called "The Downeaster". Remember that you will need to check the Northbound schedule...you're heading North to Maine from Boston.
- It is very easy to get a taxi from either the Concord Coach or Amtrak station. The bus and the train both arrive at the same station, the Portland Transportation Center. Taxis wait at this station to take any passengers needing their service.
Once you arrive in Portland, Maine the question is...where to next?
That depends on whether you need to go straight to the Portland campus, the Gorham dorms, Bayside Village or an apartment or hotel.
Since the possibilities are endless we suggest you enter your final destination into MapQuest for specific driving directions:
- The USM Portland Campus is located at 96 Falmouth Street, Portland, ME 03103
- The USM Gorham Campus is located at 37 College Avenue, Gorham, ME 04038
If you have questions about your arrival, please contact the International Programs office at International@usm.maine.edu