Students who will be attending USM as part of an exchange program with their home school can complete a simplified application.
Preferred Deadline: April 1st
Latest Possible Deadline: May 1st (limited course offerings at this late date)
THE PROCESS IS AS FOLLOWS:
1. Complete an International Exchange Student Application
2. Submit the International Exchange Student Application to the USM International Programs office and be sure to include the following:
- A brief essay (300-500 words) stating your reasons for wanting to study at the University of Southern Maine. How will this period of study contribute to your current academic program? Please include any areas of interest or special skills.
- A statement from your home school supporting your program of study at the University of Southern Maine.
- If English is not your first language you will need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score OR complete the attached Language Proficiency Report. (The minimum TOEFL score required is a 79 ibt/ 213 computer or 550 paper).
- Academic transcript from your college or university listing the courses that you have taken prior to your enrollment at USM. This is a MUST in order to be able to verify that you have the necessary pre-requisites required for upper level courses.
- A copy of the biographical page of your passport.
3. Submit proof of sufficient funding to cover your expenses during your year or semester at USM.
- Students coming on exchange pay tuition and fees to their home school. However, immigration requires that you document that you have sufficient funding for your expenses that will be paid in the US.
- Students will be responsible for any fees tied specifically to courses such as Art or Music fees, as well as technology fees for online courses.
Students coming from Keele, Winchester, Sogang, Leicster, Kanda Gaigo & Radboud must document $8175.00 for one semester. If you are staying for a full academic year simply double that amount.
** Important Note: Expenses for 2015-16 will not be finalized until July so students should plan for a small 3-5% increase. **
The cost breakdown is as follows:
- $5600.00 for room, board and meals during vacation periods
- $675.00 for books and supplies
- $800.00 for medical insurance and health care in the US (Students must purchase their health insurance coverage in their home countries)
- $1100.00 for personal expenses
- This totals $8175.00 per semester
- In order to document sufficient funding students should complete a Declaration of Finances form and submit the appropriate back up documentation.
4. Submit a completed Registration Worksheet signed by your Academic Advisor.
- In order to complete your Registration worksheet you will need to review available courses.
- You will need to check our online course search to see available courses. On the left side of the page you will see a box labled "Signon" and just below that you will see another box titled "Quick Links" you can use the CLASS SEARCH link here to begin looking at possible courses.
- If you have difficulties we highly suggest you watch this short video on how to search for USM courses online.
- Remember to choose University of Southern Maine for the "institution"
- The upcoming term is Fall 2015.
- The Fall course schedule should be available in the beginning of April, 2015.
- To see the list of courses offered this past fall select Fall 2014 from the pull down menus.
2015-16 Academic Calendar
● Arrival Dates: Tuesday, August 25th or Wednesday, August 26th, 2015
* Pickup times for students living on campus:
8/25 at 6:30 PM (airport) or 7 PM (Concord bus station)
Students should leave a minimum of two hours to catch connecting flights.
● New International Student Orientation: January 15, 2016