Incoming Law Exchange
Students who will be attending the University of Maine School of Law as part of an exchange program with their home school can complete a simplified application. The process is as follows:
1. Complete an International Exchange Student Application
2. Submit the International Exchange Student Application to the USM International Programs office and be sure to include the following:
- A brief essay (300-500 words) stating your reasons for wanting to study at the University of Southern Maine. How will this period of study contribute to your current academic program? Please include any areas of interest or special skills.
- A statement from your home school supporting your program of study at the University of Southern Maine.
- If English is not your first language you will need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score. (The minimum TOEFL score required is a 79 ibt/ 213 computer or 550 paper. The minimum IELTS score is a 6.5).
- Academic transcript from your college or university listing the courses that you have taken prior to your enrollment at USM. This is a MUST in order to be able to verify that you have the necessary pre-requisites required for upper level courses.
- A copy of the biographical page of your passport.
3. Submit proof of sufficient funding to cover your expenses during your year or semester at USM.
- Students coming on exchange pay tuition and fees to their home school. However, immigration requires that you document that you have sufficient funding for your expenses that will be paid in the US.
Students coming from Cergy, Le Mans, City University of Hong Kong, Tsinghua, Dalhousie, Galway, Rennes, Buckingham or the University of New Brunswick must document $18,200 for one academic year or $9100 for one semester.
** Important Note: Expenses for 201-18 will not be finalized until July so students should plan for a small 3-5% increase **
The cost breakdown for 1 year is as follows:
- $11,500.00 for room, board and meals during vacation periods
- $ 2,000.00 for books and supplies
- $ 2,500.00 for medical insurance and health care in the US
- $ 2,200.00 for personal expenses
- This totals $18,200 for the academic year
- In order to document sufficient funding students should complete a Declaration of Finances form and submit the appropriate back up documentation.
4. Submit a completed Registration Worksheet signed by your Academic Advisor.
In order to complete your Registration worksheet you will need to review available courses.
- You will need to check our online course search to see available courses. On the left side of the page you will see a box labled "Signon" and just below that you will see another box titled "Quick Links" you can use the CLASS SEARCH link here to begin looking at possible courses.
- If you have difficulties we highly suggest you watch this short video on how to search for USM courses online.
- Remember to choose University of Southern Maine for the "institution"
- The upcoming term is Fall 2017.
- The Fall course schedule should be available in the beginning of April, 2017.
- To see the list of courses offered this past fall select Fall 2016 from the pull down menus.
ARRIVAL for Fall 2016
New International Students are required to attend the New International Student Orientation. Law students will also have a law school orientation so we will work with you to ensure that you attend the most important components of each oreintation.
- The International Student Orientation will begin on Thursday, August 25th.
- The School of Law Orientation is scheduled for Thursday & Friday, August 25th and 26th.
2017-18 Academic Calendar
● Arrival Dates at USM: TBD
● New International Student Oreintation: August 23-25, 2017
● Classes Begin: Monday, August 28, 2017
● Labor Day (no classes) Monday, September 4, 2017
● Columbus Day (no classes) Monday, October 9, 2017
● Veteran's Day (no classes) Wednesday, November 11, 2016
● Thanksgiving Vacation: Wednesday, Thursday & Friday, November 22-26, 2017
● Last Day of Classes: Friday, December 8, 2017
● Final Exams: Wednesday, December 13 - Friday, December 22, 2017
● Classes Begin: Monday, January 22, 2018
● President's Day (no classes): Monday, February 19, 2018
● Spring Recess: Monday, March 12- Friday, March 16, 2018
● Patriot's Day: Monday, April 16, 2018
● Last Day of Classes: Tuesday, May 1, 2018
● Final Exams: Wednesday, May 7 - Thursday, May 15, 2018
● Commencement: Saturday, May 26, 2018