Currently USM is home to students from more than 30 countries which bring distinctive perspectives to our academic community and enrich the residential and campus experience for all. USM has a great deal to offer students looking for the American experience including small classes and engaged learning opportunities outside of the classroom that are typically available only at large, national, urban universities.
Plus USM offers students the best location in the state with a bustling city campus located in Portland, Maine and residence halls and classrooms in Gorham, Maine which offer the more traditional college experience. Rated as one of the safest cities in the US, Portland was recently named one of Frommer’s Top 12 World Travel destinations, which makes for a college experience filled with discovery and opportunity. Also, Portland joins the list of top college cities and the metropolitan area is ranked 20th among small cities in an analysis of the best places for college students.
We hope that you will find the University of Southern Maine a welcoming home away from home!
- Application Deadlines
- International Admissions
- Work with one of our Overseas Representatives
- Documenting Funding & International Student Budgets
- Bringing Dependents
- Services Provided by the USM Office of International Programs
- Visa Types
- Glossary of Immigration Terms
- Transferring to USM
- Applying for a Visa
- Changing your Immigration Status
- Arriving at the US Port of Entry
- Housing at USM
- About USM, Greater Portland and Maine!
- Pre-Arrival Guide for International Students
- Learn more about some of USM's International Graduates!
- Application Process for incoming International Undergraduate Exchange students from Partner Institutions