Location: Portland, Maine!
Location, location, location! USM offers students the best location in the state with a bustling city campus located in Portland, Maine and residence halls and classrooms in Gorham, Maine which offer the more traditional college experience. Rated as one of the safest cities in the US, Portland joins the list of top college cities and the metropolitan area is ranked 20th among small cities in an analysis of the best places for college students
With a culturally diverse regional population of roughly 250,000, Portland is Maine’s largest city, as well as the state’s retail, business, and financial center, and home to the University of Southern Maine (USM). As Maine’s business hub, Portland offers USM students the opportunity for internship and research opportunities. Portland’s art scene, dining, shopping, and recreation opportunities are comparable to cities twice its size, but USM students thrive in its friendly, relaxed small town pace.
After a semester in Maine, you’ll understand why Maine’s unofficial slogan is Maine: The Way Life Should Be! Its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, mountains, and lakes provide students with recreational opportunities year round. Maine is also fortunate to benefit from four glorious seasons, including a colorful fall and quintessential American summer. While other parts of the country simply turn cold in the winter, Maine benefits from picturesque snowfall that is perfect for skiing, snowshoeing, and snow tubing.
With campuses in Portland, Gorham and Lewiston-Auburn, USM has something for everyone from city living to the traditional college campus experience. Here are just a few more of Portland's honors:
- Forbes ranks Portland, Maine as the #1 Livable City in the US
- National Geographic Adventure Magazine considers Portland, Maine “One of the 10 Great Adventure Towns.”
- Frommer’s Travel Guides voted Portland as “one of the twelve surprising, thriving, and emerging travel destinations” in the world.
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance ranks Portland as a “Top City for Creative People.”
- Outside Magazine calls Portland “one of the Best Towns on the East Coast.”
- Love to eat? Bon Appetite Magazine just named Portland “America’s Foodiest Town!”
- Boston is just a few hours away and New York is easily accessible by bus
- And let’s not forget Portland’s proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, mountains and lakes which provide students with recreational opportunities all year round.