As many of you already know, students are limited to a maximum of 90 days of unemployment during their one year of post completion OPT (Optional Practical Training) and an additional 60 days of unemployment if authorized for a 24 month period of STEM OPT.
On October 26, 2018 SEVIS was updated to automatically calculate the total number of unemployment days accrued by students with authorized OPT. This SEVIS update also included an auto-terminate function which is being tested and is expected to be implemented shortly. Once the evaluation of the function is complete SEVP will fully engage the auto-terminate action. We will notify you as soon as that happens.
What does this mean for you?
- Is it more important than ever for you to ensure you are keeping track of your employment within your SEVIS record.
- Remember that you have the ability to update your own employer information via your SEVIS portal.
- If you are unable to access your portal and need us to reset your password please contact the USM Office of International Programs.
- Please email the USM Office of International Programs with any changes to your employment history so that we can verify your employment record remains accurate.
- Please do not delete any past employers. It is important for your record to show a consistent work history.
- Also please be sure that you address is always valid.
- If you need any help with updating your record contact the USM Office of International Programs.
Important Note: If your status is auto-terminated for exceeding more than the allowed number of unemployment days, you will begin accruing unlawful presence immediately.