Prior to Arrival:
- The International Office will provide assistance with the documentation of funding process and provide guidance on immigration issues.
- The International Programs office will work with students to answer questions about USM (housing, courses, tuition, etc.) and the local community.
- The International Office will assist students with booking temporary accommodations if they need to hunt for an apartment upon their arrival in Maine.
- The International Office will begin working with the student to help them pre-register for courses prior to their arrival.
Upon Arrival at USM:
- A representative from the Office of International Programs will pick up students living on-campus and take them to the residential hall. Students will need to plan their arrival date/time to coordinate with one of our pre-planned shuttle services. (Unfortunately our shuttle service is only available to students living in the USM Residence Halls). Information about the shuttle service will be included in the student's admission packet.
- Within 48 hours our office will e-mail you to notify you of your student's safe arrival.
- The International Programs staff will assist students with any housing needs, academic questions or concerns, and adjustment issues.
Mandatory Orientation for International Students:
Orientation is mandatory for all incoming international students. Information about the date, time and location will be included in the student's admission packet.
Our fall orientation is a 2-day event, while our spring orientation is a 1-day event. The following activities are included in the orientation:
- Meeting & socializing with other international students
- Introduction to the International Programs staff
- Briefing on immigration requirements and regulations
- Overview of campus services and facilities including student services, student health, student counseling, campus safety and more.
- Discussion of cultural adjustment and the US academic system
- Individual meetings to assist students in completing their course registration
- Demonstration of how to use the USM online student system to pay bills, register for classes and more
- Activation of their USM e-mail accounts
- Obtaining USM Student ID
- Off campus activities to help introduce them to the surrounding community including a picnic at Fort Williams lighthouse and/or a half-day excursion to Portland' Old Port area filled with shops, restaurants and tourist activities.
- A coordinated shopping event to a local grocery/department store
The University will also have many other orientation activities taking place during the first week of classes for ALL USM students. This information will be provided to students during the orientation session.
Ongoing Services Provided by the Office of International Programs
- Three staff members with immigration experience are available at all times to help students with immigration questions, concerns, getting paperwork signed for travel and relevant applications for OPT, changes in status, etc.
- Three staff members are available to assist students with questions about the University and the local community. Often we can assist students with resolving their issues, but if not, we can help them locate the appropriate office or service that can help.
- The International Programs office provides limited programming throughout the year to provide opportunities for friendship and cultural sharing.
- The International Programs Office offers a series of Lunch & Learn workshops each semester to help address issues such as academic success, culture shock and more.
- The International Programs office also acts as a liaison between the student and your office after their arrival in Maine.