Please be advised that the Social Security Office must verify a foreign national’s immigration status with the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (CIS) before issuing a social security number. You must wait ten (10) days following your entry to the U.S., before going to the Social Security Office to apply for the SSN.
To apply for a Social Security Number, you must call the Social Security Office to set up an appointment. They will not take walk-ins.
When you apply, be sure to get a receipt from the office, verifying that you have applied. Until you apply for your social security number, you will not be able to begin working.
You may register with USM Payroll once you have your receipt from the Social Security Administration.
Bring the following originals with you to the Social Security Office:
- All I-20 forms issued (for F-1 students) and/or all DS-2019 forms issued (for J-1 or J-2 visa holders)
- Valid passport
- Valid or Expired visa, if you have one – (Canadians are visa exempt)
- Valid I-94 card
- A work authorization letter from the USM Office of International Programs
- A job offer and brief description of the job from the hiring department. This letter must be on their departmental letterhead with an original signature.
- Social security card application form
The Social Security Application form is available from the SS Website at http://www.ssa.gov
Or we have copies in the International Office at 101 Payson Smith
The Portland Social Security Administration Office is located at 1355 Congress Street, 2nd floor, Portland ME 04102. Their office hours are 9 am to 4 pm. Their phone number is (877) 319-3076