The University of Southern Maine is pleased to have hosted many visiting international scholars from around the world. These scholars enrich the campus in many ways including teaching courses, collaborating with USM colleagues on research projects, and performing in a wide range of arts fields. In doing so, they engage in the activities of the campus community, sharing their international experiences and perspectives, and providing rich learning opportunities for students, staff, faculty, and community members.
Visiting Scholars must be hosted by a USM department. The Office of International Programs oversees invitations of visiting scholars and assists with the issuance of appropriate visa documenation when required.
The information included below will provide a starting point:
- Inviting Visiting Scholars (Check here first for good step by step instructions!)
- Cross-Cultural Component for J-1 Exchange Visitors
- Information on Bringing Your Family
- Learn more about Exchange Visitor Categories
- A special note about Social Security Numbers
- Health insurance requirements for Visiting Scholars
- Health insurance options
- International Faculty Handbook
FORMS & SAMPLES: