Students coming to the University of Southern Maine have 3 options for housing during their time here at USM.
USM has a variety of housing options to accommodate different interests and price ranges.
- All residence halls are located on the Gorham Campus
- On campus housing requires students to purchase a meal plan.
- Residence halls feature: security, high speed internet access, cable with 50+ channels, some furniture including a standard twin bed and a micro/fridge.
- Students do need to bring their own bedding. We recommend you order your bedding online and have it shipped directly to the Gorham mailroom. It will be ready for you when you arrive at campus.
- Undergraduate exchange students are required to live on campus.
Bayside Village is NOT a University run housing complex. It is an independently and professionally run apartment designed for students. It houses students from the University of Southern Maine as well as students from several other local colleges and universities. Bayside Village is located less than one mile from the Portland campus and close to other amenities such as the public bus system, grocery and drugstores.
Bayside Village offers fully furnished apartments within a larger flat so students need to be prepared to have room-mates. You will need to cook for yourself at Bayside Village. If you want to be housed with another incoming international student you can request that. They are happy to work with you via e-mail to reserve a space for fall.
If you would like us to post your "room-mate request" here please let us know and we'll add it to this page for other USM international students to see.
3. Off Campus Housing
Some students would prefer to find a room for rent or a more traditional apartment. USM does not secure housing for students but we can provide a few resources for you.
- USM Off Campus Housing Listings
- Portland Press Herald Newspaper
- Maine Housing Search
- Craigslist (Portland, Maine) - has many listings. Our office can help if you have questons about how close the apartment is to campus or our thoughts on the particular neighborhood.
- Many of our students (past and present) have lived at "Princeton on Back Cove" It's a nice area and walkable to campus.
Please note that the University of Southern Maine Does Not have offer a Host Family option.