How do I get an internship?
- Students usually complete an internship during their junior and/or senior year
- Students must have completed courses 269 and 413 (some students may be permitted to take 413 with their internship if approved by their academic advisor)
- Contact USM LAC's Internship Coordinator on how to get started
Do I earn credits for my internship?
Students complete internships for credit and experience. Only a few interships are paid in addition to credits.
How long do interships last?
- A three credit hour internship is 120 hours of field work (you may do up to six credit hours with permission from your advisor). Each additional credit hour is 40 field hours
- The most successful internships are completed in one semester
Fall Semester, September - December
Spring Semester, January - May
Summer Semester, May - August
Why participate in an internship?
Students benefits include:
- Gaining professional experience while in school
- Sampling specific job within career areas
- Making valuable contacts for future networking
- Sampling different working environments (work setting, type of employer, or industry, geographic location)
- Gaining insight into real-word application of concepts learned in school
- Developing self-confidence and independence
- Earning college credit