The Leadership & Organizational Studies program will be offering a travel course to the International Leadership Association's (ILA) 20th Annual Global Conference in West Palm Beach, Florida, October 24-27. Come join 1,200+ attendees from over 50 countries for four days of unparalleled immersion, networking, and exploration of leadership! Check out a quick video about the conference here. USM graduate student participants from the 2016 ILA Conference in Atlanta, GA, had this to say:
- "I was truly grateful for the opportunity to attend, and I would recommend any student to go."
- "The 2016 ILA Conference on Inclusive Leadership provided an experience to broaden my global mindset and provide clarification of my place in the leadership industry."
- "Overall the conference was a transformational event for me... I went into ILA with a desire to attend and get as much exposure to different experiences, as possible... This was accomplished by attending all sessions and talking directly with authors such as Kellerman, Chaleff, and the Hurwitz’s... I am proud of my journey and what the ILA helped to bring to life in me... I highly recommend other students attend an ILA conference."
This course may be applied to either your Contexts or Electives requirements in the MLS. As a student and faculty attendee of seven ILA conferences, I can attest that it is a professional development opportunity not to be missed! Here is some additional info about the course and travel:
- Keynote speakers include Dr. Barbara Kellerman, Dr. Donna Ladkin, and others TBA.
- The course (LOS 599) is three credits and travel will occur October 24-27, 2018. We will have three class meetings—two before and one after the conference. If you are an online student, you may attend class meetings virtually via web conferencing.
- In addition to conference participation, you may also compete in ILA's Student Case Competition, participate in one of the many exciting Pre-Conference Workshops (TBA), and meet the authors of your favorite leadership texts at the Meet the Authors Reception.
- The priority application deadline is May 1, 2018, and the final deadline is August 1, 2018. A complete application includes all of the following:
- Signed, completed application form
- $200 non-refundable deposit (applied to the program cost)
- Typed 200-word essay
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member or academic advisor
- Official copy of USM transcript
- Additional information regarding program fees, cost, and financial aid can be found here: https://usm.maine.edu/international/travel-ila-conference
Again, I hope you will join us! If you have any questions, please let me know.