- M.A. Public Administration/International Organizational Development, Ohio University
- B.A. Political Science/International Relation, Ohio University
Mike has enjoyed a very diverse career, including leadership positions in the public/governmental and nonprofit sectors, including Director of International Commerce for the Maine Department of Economic & Community Development and as President of the Maine World Trade Association. In the private sector, Mike spent 25+ years of his career in the outdoor retail industry, including leadership roles at L.L. Bean, The North Face, REI, and Patagonia. He has also held various positions in higher education, including in the departments of residence life, career services, and as an instructor of business and organizational leadership courses.
Mike is a proud member of the Maine Part-Time Faculty Association (PATFA). PATFA is a professional trade union and affiliate of the American Federation of Teachers Local #4593, AFT-Maine, AFL-CIO.
Areas of Expertise
Mike teaches Human Resource Management, Employee Relations, Leading Change, Leading in the Public & Nonprofit Sectors, Entrepreneurship, Corporate Social Responsibility & Sustainability, and other courses in the Leadership and Organizational Studies programs.
Mike's research and publications are in the areas of organizational leadership, HR management, leading change, cross cultural leadership, and corporate social responsibility and sustainability. Mike’s work with this subject matter is done with the goal of helping students develop the knowledge and skills they need to enhance their leadership abilities in their chosen career field.
Awards and Recognition
Mike has received numerous awards in recognition of his course design work and teaching excellence, including:
- Named “Subject Matter Expert” by Kaplan University as the lead course designer for the course:
- Small Business Management (2010)
- Named “Subject Matter Expert” by Southern New Hampshire University as the lead course designer for the following courses:
- Strategic Human Resources Management
- Organizational Leadership
- Leading Change
- Contemporary Issues in Organizational Leadership (Masters Capstone) (2008 and 2009)
- Named “Outstanding Graduate Faculty Member” by Southern New Hampshire University students (2007 and 2008)
- Recognized for “Outstanding Student Evaluations” by the Southern New Hampshire University Dean of Distance Learning (2006 and 2007)
- Nominated “Community Building of the Year” by University of New England students (2004)
During his career in the private sector, Mike received the following forms of recognition:
- Nominated “Bean’s Best” Candidate (1995, 1997, and 1998)
- Named “Maine’s #1 Man in the World” by Maine Enterprise Magazine (1986)
Mike has also held board positions for various Maine and New England-regional nonprofit and governmental organizations over the course of his career.