Zoom is an online meeting platform, much like Skype or Google Hangout. Every USM student now has a Zoom account, which can be accessed via the Launch Pad in the upper left-hand corner in the MyUSM portal.
Many of the tutoring appointments offered at The Learning Commons can be accessed live online. This means, as a USM student, you can work with your tutor from anywhere at the time of your appointment. Zoom will allow you and your tutor to:
- See each other via your device’s camera (for example, a computer or smartphone webcam)
- Hear each other via your microphone
- Share your screen while having your conversation
- Write on a virtual whiteboard as part of your active practice
- Save what was written on the whiteboard
- Have the option to record the entire online session for later review (NOTE: this is the student’s choice)
Here is how to work with your tutor online:
- When scheduling the appointment, select “Yes - Schedule Online Appointment” from the drop-down menu instead of the default option of “No - Meet Face-To-Face at the Center”. (NOTE: if this option is not visible, it means that appointment is not available for online tutoring.)
- A few minutes before your appointment, log back into this calendar system, open the appointment window, and click on the link labeled JOIN MY APPOINTMENT to start your online session.
- Upon arrival in the meeting, you may need to turn on your microphone and camera. (NOTE: we strongly recommend using both your microphone and camera during the session, as it will provide the best options for making the most of that tutoring appointment.)
To learn more about each of the Zoom functions, such as using the whiteboard, chat feature, or recording the session, please see below.