- University of Southern Maine borrowers (students, staff & faculty) must be currently enrolled or employed at the University and must present their USM ID to borrow books, or use the reserve collections;
- University of Maine System borrowers (e.g. students and employees from other campuses) must be currently enrolled or employed by the system, and must present their university library identification card to borrow books or use the reserve collections.
- Alumni, Courtesy, and Corporate card patrons must have a current record at USM Libraries and must present their courtesy card to borrow books or use the reserve collection.
Loan Periods and Renewals
- Undergrad Students & Staff: Four week loan with (2) three week renewals
- Grad Students & Faculty: Semester Loan with (1) semester renewal
- Other: Four week loan with (2) three week renewals
- All patrons (Except Faculty): Four week loan with (1) two week renewal
- Faculty: Semester Loan with No Renewal
- Reference, Serials, and Special Collections do not circulate.
- Items are renewable if they have no holds, have not been recalled, or are not billed. Renewals may be in person or by telephone. Self renewals are possible on URSUS.
- Material is due on the assigned due date or time.
- USM Libraries send courtesy reminder notices (5 days prior to date due), first and second overdue notices, recall notices, hold pick-up, and cancellation notices via email.
- The Libraries use the official University email.
- Overdue notices are a courtesy and the library takes no responsibility for the non-receipt of overdue notices.
- Billed Book Charge $45.00
- Processing Charge $5.00
- Billing Fee $5.00
- Overdue Recall $1.00/day per item
- Unpaid fees and fines will be sent to the Student Billing Office for collection.
- The billed book charge & the processing fee may be waived once the materials are returned. Once an item has gone to the billed stage the billing fee ($5.00) remains.