USM Libraries provide resources and services to support all classes, including fully-online and partially-online or blended courses. Off-Campus access to article databases, books, and personal assistance is available largely online. If you have any questions, please contact us. firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-4270. To request USM network access or other computing questions contact Computing Services.
- MyUSM Portal
- Once logged in to the MyUSM Portal using a UMaine login, students have full access to library and other USM resources. The system recognizes when a student is a multi-campus student and will prompt the student to select the campus they wish to access.
- USM Student ID
- A current USM Student ID card, provided by Campus Card Services, is essential at USM. To obtain a USM ID card please fill out the web form found on the Campus Card Services page under Distance Learners. The library will activate your card for library use.
- The number on your USM Student ID card beginning with 25022... is your library barcode and you may be asked to type it in to access databases off-campus, request materials from other libraries, and request materials via Interlibrary Loan.
- The link to Databases A-Z on the library website provides a list of over 200 databases, many of which provide peer-reviewed articles.
- Our Subject Guides may prove useful in finding the best information on your topic.
- Consult the Research Skills Toolbox for detailed tutorials.
- If you don’t find the full text of the specific article you are searching for, Ask A Librarian, or use our InterLibrary Loan service to obtain a copy of the article online.
- The URSUS Catalog lets users search the holdings of all UMaine System libraries. Limit the search to your campus or use the Request function located in the top left of every record to request free delivery (2-3 business days) from one campus to a listed library near you. Print books can be checked out on-site with an active student ID.
- Using the links within URSUS records, MaineCat will let you search and request free delivery of books to any campus library from Maine public libraries or Colby, Bates and Bowdoin Colleges and the University of New England. User my use the Request function MaineCat for delivery, as well.
- E-books are plentiful in the URSUS catalog, as well, and are fully accessible off-campus once you are recognized as a USM student. See Online Access above. (video?)
- Faculty often place books, articles, videos, and more in Electronic Reserves for student use. The link is located under Quick Links on the USM Libraries website. Your UMaine login will automatically provide access to materials for your classes.
- Research Assistance is available in-person or online through our chat service on the library website. Hours, phone and email information can also be found there. The Reference Librarians will help you with simple or complicated questions anytime during library hours posted on the USM Libraries website.
- Up to 2 online tutoring appointments per week can be scheduled through AskOnline using your UMaine login, free of charge. Read more About Tutoring at USM
- In addition to tutoring in traditional subject areas such as Writing and Math, The Learning Commons offers live, online Technology Assistance and Peer Academic Coaching. Technology Assistance is a complement to the USM Help Desk, with instruction available on how to use common academic platforms including the Microsoft Office Suite, Google products, Blackboard, and Adobe Connect. Peer Academic Coaching allows students to broaden the menu of approaches for successfully managing one's academic life, with strategies for time management, test taking, and reading college textbooks.
- Contact us concerning any questions about accessing resources or other technology-related questions. 780-4270.
- Consult the Technology Assistance guide.
Talk to a person