For police, fire, or medical emergencies:
To reach USM's Campus Safety Department for non-emergencies, questions, and other assistance:
Fire Evacuation Route from c571:
- Evacuation route and protocol are posted in the lab next to the storage cabinets. In the event of a fire, exit the building using the route specified.
- Do not attempt to put out the fire yourself
- Call 911 to report the fire
- Next, call campus safety
- Once outside, meet at the picnic tables by Luther Bonney and await further information.
- Do not use the elevators in the event of a fire.
- Persons with disabilities should wait in the stairwell for assistance.
- Do not handle or clean up blood
- Call campus safety or 911 (or both)
- Make the person in question as comfortable and relaxed as possible.
- Anyone trained and/or certified in medical response can assist.
- Encourage others in class/department to move into the hall until rescue is addressed and completed.
- Do not leave the patient unattended until rescue arrives.
- Designate someone in class/department to go to the nearest exit door to direct rescue to the location.
All users of the lab are required to comply with university regulations including the student code of conduct, alcohol, drugs, tobacco and weapons policies and the use of USM facilities policies.
Details of all policies can be found at here.
Other useful Safety Contact Information:
- Environmental Health & Safety Office or Director 5406 or 420-4831
- Academic Support for Students with Disabilities 780-4706
- Health Education Specialist/Consultant 780-5411/4050
- Maine Medical Center Poison Control Center 871-2950 or (800) 442-6305
- Chemtrec – Chemical Response 1-800-424-9300
- National Chemical Response Center 1-800-424-8802
- USM Facilities Management 780-4160