Portland and Gorham campuses
All vehicles in University of Southern Maine (USM) parking lots on the Portland and Gorham campuses must display a valid USM parking permit, which comes in the form of a hang tag typically hung from a vehicle's rear-view mirror. Exceptions include the parking garage on the Portland campus and parking spaces marked specifically for visitors –– these parking areas are free of charge. Keep in mind, a parking permit does not guarantee a place to park.
No parking permits are required. However, students, faculty, and staff who also visit the Portland and Gorham campuses will need a permit to park on either campus.
Student Parking Permits
- Cost: No additional cost. Students pay a transportation fee if registered for on-campus courses.
- Term: Valid for the academic year (Sept. 1 –- Aug. 31)
- Form: Student Parking Permit Form (you will need to know the make, model, year, and color of your vehicle)
Visitor Parking Permits
Prospective students and their families visiting campus do not need a parking permit. On the Gorham campus, the Office of Admission has parking available next to the water tower. On the Portland campus, all visitors can use the parking garage at no charge.
Other visitors must obtain a temporary parking permit for short-term parking.
- Cost: No charge
- Term: Valid for 24 hours
- Form: Forms need to be filled out in person at the Parking and Transportation Office (you will need to know the make, model, year, and color of your vehicle)
Short-term parking may include:
- Staying overnight on the Gorham campus
- Attending an athletic event on the Gorham campus
- Visiting an office, college, school, or department on the Portland or Gorham campus
- Visiting the Maine School of Law on the Portland campus
Faculty & Staff Parking Permits
All faculty and staff are required to display a valid parking permit in vehicles parked on the Portland and Gorham campuses.
- Cost: $25
- Term: Valid for a calendar year (Jan. 1 – Dec. 31)
- Form: Faculty/Staff Permit Application Form (you will need to know the make, model, year, and color of your vehicle)
Obtaining a Parking Permit
Parking Permits are available at the following locations:
Parking and Transportation Office
Level 1 of the Parking Garage 88 Bedford Street, Portland, Maine 04101
Office Hours: Monday through Friday 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Parking Permits are also available at the receptionist desk on the first floor Abromson at the start of each semester.
Public Safety Building
38 Husky Drive, Gorham, Maine 04038
24 hours per day
Permits can also be received by mail by submitting a completed registration form to the Parking and Transportation Office. The request is processed as received and may take from 5-10 business days for it to arrive by mail. Permits filled out in person will be completed on the spot.
University of Maine System (UMS) Parking Permits
Parking permits from any UMS campus are permitted to park on any campus in accordance with these campus guidelines as long as they are not expired.