On this page
- Campus Safety
- Course Registration Materials
- Ensemble Audition Information
- Recital Class Information
- Student Recital Forms
- Work Study Jobs
- Campus Police, (207) 780-5211, 911
- Musical Instrument Registration Form
- Electronic Device Registration Form
- Bicycle Registration Form
Spring 2015 Course Registration - Applied Music (to be posted in the coming weeks)
This rotation chart is subject to revision. Check with your advisor to confirm course offerings. A number of courses which were included in old curriculum models are on this chart. If a course has a line through its title the course is no longer offered.
USM Concert Band
- Auditions take place in September, or by permission of the concert band director.
- Sign up sheet will be posted on the Concert Band Bulletin board, Ground floor Corthell Hall.
- Auditions are 5 minutes in length and should be of a solo or etude of the player's choice
Southern Maine Symphony Orchestra -
- Auditions take place in September, or by permission of the orchestra director.
- Sign up sheet will be posted on the Orchestra Bulletin board, Ground floor Corthell Hall.
- All USM String student and and ALL new community players, regardless of instrument will audition at this time.
- USM Wind, Brass and percussion players audition for USM Concert Band and indicate orchestra on the band audition form.
USM Jazz Band
Horns (Wind & Brass) 109E Corthell
- Auditions take place in September, or by permission of the jazz bands director. Sign up sheet will be posted on the bulletin board outside of 109E Corthell.
Rhythm Section (Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums) 320 Corthell
- Auditions take place in September, or by permission of the jazz bands director. No sign up required. Arrive ready to play at 5:00 p.m.
Music and directions for all parts for this audition are available in the School of Music office 103 Corthell Hall during office hours Tuesday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Auditions take place in September, or by permission of the choral director. Sign up sheet and applications will be posted on the bulletin board outside of 210 Corthell.
- All new singers in Chorale should sign up for a 5 minute audition slot. The Chorale audition includes singing “My country ‘tis of thee” as well as a few series of pitch-matching exercises. Selection criteria is listed on the application form. Please note: if you wish to audition for Chamber Singers, sign up for 10 minutes. See below.
USM Chamber Singers
Auditions take place in September, or by permission of the choral director. Sign up sheet will be posted on the bulletin board outside of 210 Corthell.
- All Singers must audition regardless of prior membership. Please sign-up for a 10 minute audition slot (2 consecutive five-minute slots). All who are auditioning for Chamber Singers are asked to prepare a one-minute solo of your choosing (select something that you really like and can sing well) and sight-singing. Additionally, I will ask the Chamber Singers auditionees to perform a series of tonal-memory exercises. Selection will be based on the highest composite scores (found on the application) and the ensemble’s need (SATB voice balance). If there is a need for call-backs the singer(s) will receive an e-mail.
Spring Musical- Catch Me If You Can
- Auditions take place in September, or by permission of the musical theatre director.
- Please prepare to sing 2 contrasting 16 bar selections appropriate for the show and/or your vocal strengths. Familiarity with the score will be helpful during callbacks..
- Call backs TBA later in the afternoon
The next in-class performance schedule will be posted here.
Student Recital Date Reservation Application and Permit Forms - Download this package to begin preparing for your student recital. The Student Recital Date Reservation Application Form, page 1 of the package, should be submitted to at the time you are requesting your date. Bring this form in person to Lori Arsenault, Performing Arts Operations and Concert Manager, in Room 207 Corthell Hall. The actual Recital Permit, page 2 and 3 of this form package, will need to be submitted by 30 days prior to your recital along with all your program materials, approval and signature from your applied teacher, and signatures of your assisting musicians. All of the instructions you need are contained in this package.