Now in its 61st year, the USM School of Music is a major presence in the musical community of Southern Maine. Faculty and alumni teach and perform in a wide array of venues, and their presence is felt throughout the region and beyond. Working with the many musical organizations that call northern New England home, they contribute immeasurably to the cultural life we all value.
School of Music Public Concerts and Events
• The greater community is invited to attend over 120 concerts and events every year on the Gorham campus and at venues throughout the region.
Portland Symphony Orchestra (PSO)
• Many of the orchestra members are USM music faculty members.
• USM choral groups frequently perform with the orchestra in major choral/orchestral collaborations.
• Professor Robert Lehmann has appeared as a PSO guest conductor
• Professor Nicolás Alberto Dosman prepared the Magic of Christmas chorus and conducted one piece with them in the concerts this fall.
• Faculty have appeared as soloists with the orchestra.
• Staff and students contribute to PSO’s youth outreach.
• USM students and staff have assisted with the PSO’s Instrument Petting Zoos
• Individual members of the faculty have served on the Portland Ovations board and committees for over 25 years.
• Collaborations have included week-long residencies with major conductors, including visits by Frederick Fennell, Elmer Iseler, and Eugene Corporon, and the full length concert production of Dan Sonenberg’s The Summer King.
• Numerous shorter residencies, workshops, opera symposia, and master classes have been jointly presented, featuring such artists as Isaac Stern, Emmanuel Ax. Renee Fleming and Yo Yo Ma.
• Faculty have presented pre-concert lectures and/or workshops.
Casco Bay Wind Symphony (CBWS)
• Professor Trae Blanco conducts the CBWS.
• More than twenty USM alumni and current
undergraduate and graduate students perform in the Casco Bay Wind Symphony.
Portland Jazz Orchestra (PJO)
• Professor Christopher Oberholtzer is the musical director.
• Numerous faculty and alumni perform with the PJO as section members and guest soloists.
• Both graduate and undergraduate students perform with the PJO as regular members.
• USM SOM faculty serve as staff writers for the PJO.
• Under the direction of Christopher Oberholtzer, the PJO is actively involved in educational outreach to public school systems throughout the state of Maine.
• The PJO maintains an active performance schedule, both in the Greater Portland area and at state-wide events such as the Maine All-State Jazz Festival.
• USM voice faculty members and alumni have appeared in leading roles with Opera Maine (formerly PORTopera).
• Professor Mariana Mihai-Zoeter in June of 2017 led a voice master class for the Opera Maine Teens program.
• USM Opera Workshop students are collaborating with Opera Maine and The Telling Room to create a new opera that will be premiered at USM and in various locations in the community in April 2018.
• Faculty members, alumni and students perform both on stage and as principal players with the Opera Maine orchestra.
USM Youth Ensembles
• USM faculty members, Professors Nicolás Alberto Dosman, Trae Blanco, Robert Lehmann and Ferdinand Liva serve as conductors.
• Professor Nicolás Alberto Dosman is the director of the Community Chorus at South Berwick (CCSB) which serves Southern Maine and parts of New Hampshire.
• He conducted the 2016 Maine All-State Treble Choir.
• He frequently guest conducts district honors choirs in Maine and around New England.
Presents outreach performances and education throughout the state and region:
• Large and small ensembles tour the state and region; in recent years they have performed for audiences from Aroostook and Washington Counties to venues in New York and all six states in New England.
• School-based performances highlight the touring season. USM ensembles present school-day performances and workshops throughout Maine.
• Faculty regularly conduct and present clinics at All-State and District high school festivals throughout New England.
• Faculty serve as guest conductors, guest lecturers, guest composers, guest performers, and adjudicators throughout the state and region.
• More than 50 students are teaching weekly in Gorham, Standish, Yarmouth, Falmouth, Windham, Saco, Scarborough, Westbrook, Portland, and South Portland
• USM alumni constitute nearly half of all the music teachers in the state of Maine.
Provides faculty, students and alumni who perform as members of or guest artists with the:
• 240 Strings
• Artie Shaw Orchestra
• Bangor Symphony
• Berkshire Choral Festival
• Boston Academy of Music
• Boston Camerata
• Boston Pops
• Boston Symphony Orchestra
• Boy Singers of Maine
• Casco Bay Wind Symphony
• Commonwealth Opera
• DaPonte String Quartet
• Green Mountain Opera
• Handel and Haydn Society
• Lincoln Festival Chorus
• Maine Music Society
• Maine Pro Musica
• Maine State Ballet Orchestra
• Maine State Music Theatre
• Metropolitan Opera
• Midcoast Symphony Orchestra
• North Shore Music Theatre
• North Shore Philharmonic Orchestra
• Ogunquit Playhouse
• Opera Maine
• Opera North
• Oratorio Chorale
• Portland Bach Festival
• Portland Ballet Orchestra
• Portland Chamber Music Festival
• Portland Community Chorus
• Portland Jazz Orchestra
• Portland Piano Trio
• Portland String Quartet
• Portland Symphony Orchestra
• Rhode Island Philharmonic
• Saco River Jazz Ensemble
• Sebago Long Lake Festival
• Springfield Symphony Orchestra
• St. Mary Schola
• White Mountain Bach Festival
Administers the USM Youth Ensemble program, which includes the:
• Portland Youth Wind Ensemble
• Portland Youth Junior Orchestra
• Portland Young People’s String Consort
• Southern Maine Youth Chorale
• Southern Maine Children’s Chorus
Administers the Summer Youth Music and Theatre Camps, which includes the:
• Southern Maine Theatre Academy
• Southern Maine Youth Band Day Camp
• Southern Maine Music Academy
• Southern Maine Choral Music Academy
• Southern Maine Junior Music Academy
Has representation on the boards of directors and officers in the:
• Casco Bay Concert Band
• College Music Society
• Association of Concert Bands
• Association of Technology in Music Instruction
• Maine ASTA (American String Teachers Association)
• Maine Music Teachers Association
• Maine Music Educators Association
• Maine Chapter of the American Choral Directors Association
• Maine Chapter of the National Association of Teachers of Singing
• Maine Learning Technology Initiative
• Music Educators Journal, Editorial Board
• Maine Suzuki Association
• National Association for Music Education Editorial Board
The USM School of Music faculty and administration are dedicated to fostering the musical talent of young musicians through private lessons, rehearsals, clinics, coaching sessions, summer music camps, and consultations with teachers. The influence of the University of Southern Maine School of Music extends far and wide, and brings it prestige and professionalism to the musical community of Portland, the state of Maine, the Northeast, and beyond.