Now in its 63rd year, the USM School of Music is a major presence in the musical community of Southern Maine. Faculty and alumni teach and perform in a wide array of venues, and their presence is felt throughout the region and beyond. Working with the many musical organizations that call northern New England home, they contribute immeasurably to the cultural life we all value.
School of Music Public Concerts and Events
• The greater community is invited to attend over 100 concerts and events every year on the Gorham campus and at venues throughout the region.
Portland Symphony Orchestra (PSO)
• Many of the orchestra members are faculty members of the School of Music.
• USM choral groups frequently perform with the orchestra in major choral/orchestral collaborations.
• Professor Robert Lehmann has appeared as guest conductor with the PSO.
• Professor Nicolás Alberto Dosman prepared the Magic of Christmas chorus in 2017 and conducted one piece with them in their concerts for that season.
• Faculty have appeared as soloists with the orchestra.
• Staff and students contribute to PSO’s youth outreach.
• USM students and staff have assisted with the PSO’s Instrument Petting Zoos
• Individual members of the faculty have served on the Portland Ovations board and committees for over 25 years.
• Collaborations have included week-long residencies with major conductors, including visits by Frederick Fennell, Elmer Iseler, and Eugene Corporon, and the full length concert production of Dan Sonenberg’s The Summer King.
• Numerous shorter residencies, workshops, opera symposia, and master classes have been jointly presented, featuring such artists as Isaac Stern, Emmanuel Ax. Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma and Inon Barnatan.
• Faculty have presented pre-concert lectures and workshops.
Casco Bay Wind Symphony (CBWS)
• Professor Jackie Townsend began conducting the CBWS in the Spring of 2019.
• More than twenty USM alumni and current undergraduate and graduate students perform in the Casco Bay Wind Symphony.
Portland Jazz Orchestra (PJO)
• Professor Christopher Oberholtzer is the musical director.
• Numerous faculty and alumni perform with the PJO as section members and guest soloists.
• Both graduate and undergraduate students perform with the PJO as regular members.
• USM SOM faculty serve as staff writers for the PJO.
• Under the direction of Christopher Oberholtzer, the PJO is actively involved in educational outreach to public school systems throughout the state of Maine.
• The PJO maintains an active performance schedule, both in the Greater Portland area and at state-wide events such as the Maine All-State Jazz Festival.
• USM voice faculty members and alumni have appeared in leading roles with PORTopera now Opera Maine.
• USM Opera Workshop students together with faculty composition professor Dr. Dan Sonenberg collaborated with Opera Maine and The Telling Room to create a new opera that was premiered at USM and in various locations in the community in April 2018, directed by Ellen Chickering.
• Faculty members, alumni and students perform both on stage and as principal players with the Opera Maine orchestra.
North Shore Philharmonic Orchestra, MA• Professor Robert Lehmann is in his 21st season as Music Director• USM Artist Faculty and Students are often engaged as orchestra members, soloists, and composers•USM Opera Workshop and USM Chorale have collaborated White Mountain Musical Arts Bach Festival, N. Conway, NH• Professor Robert Lehmann is Music Director and Conductor• USM Artist Faculty, alumni and students have participated in the orchestra and chorus, and are regularly featured as soloists.• USM alum Jesse Wakeman is WMMA Chorus Master
USM Youth Ensembles
• USM faculty members Nicolás Alberto Dosman, Jackie Townsend, Robert Lehmann and Ferdinand Liva, and alumna Hanna Flewelling serve as conductors.
• Nicolás Alberto Dosman is the director of the Community Chorus at South Berwick (CCSB) which serves Southern Maine and parts of New Hampshire.
• He conducted the 2016 Maine All-State Treble Choir.
• He frequently guest conducts district honors choirs in Maine and around New England.
• He is the president of the Maine American Choral Directors Association (ACDA).
Presents outreach performances and education throughout the state and region:
• Large and small ensembles tour the state and region; in recent years they have performed for audiences from Aroostook and Washington Counties to venues in New York and all six states in New England.
• School-based performances highlight the touring season. USM ensembles present school-day performances and workshops throughout Maine.
• Faculty regularly conduct and present clinics at All-State and District high school festivals throughout New England.
• Faculty serve as guest conductors, guest lecturers, guest composers, guest performers, and adjudicators throughout the state and region.
• More than 50 students are teaching weekly in Gorham, Standish, Yarmouth, Falmouth, Windham, Saco, Scarborough, Westbrook, Portland, and South Portland
• USM alumni constitute nearly half of all the music teachers in the state of Maine.
Provides faculty, students and alumni who perform as members of or guest artists with the:
• 240 Strings
• Artie Shaw Orchestra
• Bangor Symphony
• Berkshire Choral Festival
• Boston Academy of Music
• Boston Camerata
• Boston Pops
• Boston Symphony Orchestra
• Boy Singers of Maine
• Casco Bay Wind Symphony
• Commonwealth Opera
• DaPonte String Quartet
• Green Mountain Opera
• Handel and Haydn Society
• Lincoln Festival Chorus
• Maine Music Society
• Maine Pro Musica
• Maine State Ballet Orchestra
• Maine State Music Theatre
• Metropolitan Opera
• Midcoast Symphony Orchestra
• North Shore Music Theatre
• North Shore Philharmonic Orchestra
• Ogunquit Playhouse
• Opera Maine
• Opera North
• Oratorio Chorale
• Portland Bach Festival
• Portland Ballet Orchestra
• Portland Chamber Music Festival
• Portland Community Chorus
• Portland Jazz Orchestra
• Portland Piano Trio
• Portland String Quartet
• Portland Symphony Orchestra
• Rhode Island Philharmonic
• Saco River Jazz Ensemble
• Sebago Long Lake Festival
• Springfield Symphony Orchestra
• St. Mary Schola
• White Mountain Bach Festival
Administers the USM Youth Ensemble program, which includes the:
• Portland Youth Wind Ensemble
• Portland Youth Junior Orchestra
• Portland Young People’s String Consort
• Southern Maine Youth Chorale
• Southern Maine Children’s Chorus
Administers the Summer Youth Music and Theatre Camps, which includes the:
• Southern Maine Theatre Academy
• Southern Maine Youth Band Day Camp
• Southern Maine Music Academy
• Southern Maine Choral Music Academy
• Southern Maine Junior Music Academy
Has representation on the boards of directors and officers in the:
• Casco Bay Concert Band
• College Music Society
• Association of Concert Bands
• Association of Technology in Music Instruction
• Maine ASTA (American String Teachers Association)
• Maine Music Teachers Association
• Maine Music Educators Association
• Maine Chapter of the American Choral Directors Association
• Maine Chapter of the National Association of Teachers of Singing
• Maine Learning Technology Initiative
• Music Educators Journal, Editorial Board
• Maine Suzuki Association
• National Association for Music Education Editorial Board
The USM School of Music faculty and administration are dedicated to fostering the musical talent of young musicians through private lessons, rehearsals, clinics, coaching sessions, summer music camps, and consultations with teachers. The influence of the University of Southern Maine School of Music extends far and wide, and brings it prestige and professionalism to the musical community of Portland, the state of Maine, the Northeast, and beyond.