Ever Consider a Career in Public Health?
“The healthcare and social assistance industry is projected to create about 28 percent of all new jobs created in the U.S. economy and … is expected to grow by 33 percent…” Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook projections for 2010 to 2020.
Public health occupations include medical and health services managers, social and community service managers, and dozens of other positions in the public and private sectors. When filling these positions, many employers prefer applicants with a master’s degree in public health (MPH). Examples of careers an MPH prepares students for is provided on the attached Fact Sheet, more information is available at http://www.whatispublichealth.org
USM/Muskie Graduate Program in Public Health graduates Maine and beyond, work in
- Public Health Policy,
- Health Services Administration and Management, and
- Public Health Practice.
USM/Muskie Graduate Program in Public Health graduates find jobs in the field
- 100% of 2012 graduates were employed in the field within 6 months
- 100 % of 2013 (US resident) graduates were employed in the field within 3 months
USM/Muskie Graduate Program in Public Health graduates earn a good living - immediately following graduation, graduates employed in Maine earn $35,000 to $80,000. National survey data demonstrate how salaries vary by field and geography (for MPH grads on year after graduation):
- Health Services Administration - $37,050 - $161,400,
- Public Health Practice/Program Management - $41,175 - $102,000, and
- Health Education/Behavioral Science - $33,000 - $86,625.
Curious? Learn more at the Master of Public Health Information Session.