The Maine Public Health Institute (MePHI) informs health and public health policy and system development through research, policy analysis, technical assistance and training. MePHI is committed to effectively integrating the science, tools, and practices of public health and healthcare management to improve access, population health outcomes, and heathcare cost efficiencies.
MePHI promotes and applies the shared values of public health and healthcare through our organizational home within the Muskie School of Public Service and its Graduate Program in Public Health. By bridging the cultures and disciplines of public health and health care, MePHI engages individuals, communities, providers and researchers in the development and management of a more effective and efficient public health infrastructure that addresses health across numerous systems. MePHI provides the organizational capacity and “backbone” support to mobilize collective expertise, leadership and resources within existing organizations, networks and communities to identify and undertake coordinated strategic initiatives to improve public health and health systems.
Contact Brenda Joly for more information.
Mission: The MePHI seeks to improve the health and quality of life of Maine’s citizens.
- Promote, convene and support collaboration among community organizations, institutions of higher education, government agencies and the business community to build Maine’s capacity and infrastructure for health improvement.
- Advocate for effective health related policies in all sectors to promote health, prevent and resolve health problems and address unmet community health needs.
- Serve as a resource for cutting edge knowledge and evidence for public health and health care policy and practitioners.
- Promote and support evidence-informed interventions that engage the collective, coordinated expertise, resources and action of organizations, citizens and communities throughout the State to transform systems and improve health.
- Promote the development and retention of highly skilled and diverse public health and health management workforce.
- We work to ensure that all Maine citizens live in a community here they have an equal opportunity for a life of optimal health.
- We seek to empower, support and collaborate with our partners.
- We are committed to contributing new knowledge and promoting evidence-informed policies and strategies for improving health.
- We work to ensure that health-promoting policies are considered by policymakers and practitioners in all sectors, such as social, education, environment, business, economic and government.
Skills and Expertise
The Institute has expertise in the following areas:
- Population-Based Programming: identifying, prioritizing, selecting interventions
- Education, Training, and Technical Assistance: designing curricula, providing both formal and informal training, delivering targeted technical assistance
- Health Policy Development, Implementation, and Evaluation: reviewing, analyzing, crafting and evaluating policy at the organizational, local and state level
- Research and Evaluation: selecting appropriate study designs, conducting research and evaluation projects, assisting with grant applications, and translating research to practice
- Health Data Systems and Analysis: managing large health care datasets, conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis, interpreting findings and disseminating results
- Convening and Partnering: engaging stakeholders, facilitating meetings, establishing partnerships and working in a participatory capacity.