The Muskie School in partnership with the Maine Town, City/County Management Association and funding from the University of Maine Graduate and Professional Center will place graduate student interns from the Policy, Planning & Management program in city, town, and county offices across the state for summer 2020.
Students will enroll for the Muskie School course PPM 534: Managing Cities, Towns and Counties with Dr. Carolyn Ball during summer 2020, and will intern at municipal offices and apply their academic knowledge to a professional municipal government setting. City, town, and county managers will mentor student interns. And interns will attend the MTCMA summer conference. Funding is available to support up to eight city, town, and county management interns.
This summer program builds on past success of student interns who learned how Maine cities, towns, and counties operate, the roles of the city, town, and county manager, assistant manager, economic development director, planner and related boards. Of these students, several have taken jobs or continued internships.
- Registration - to register, please contact Dr. Carolyn Ball (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Session Dates - 06/01/2020 through 08/14/2020
- June 2 - What do Town Managers Do? Forms of Local Government
- Nathan Poore - Town Manager, Falmouth
- June 9 - What Can Communities Do?
- Peter Chrichton - City Manager, Auburn
- Andy Hart - Knox County Administrator & MTCMA President
- June 23 - Executive Leadership and Management and Policymaking
- Bill Bridgeo - City Manager, Augusta
- June 30 - Managing small Towns
- Christine Landes - City Manager, Gardiner & MMA President
- Jay Feyler - Town Manager, Union
- July 14 - Planning and Engaging the Public
- Larissa Crockett - Assistant Town Manager, Scarborough
- July 28 - The Tax Environment and Budgeting
- John Eldridge - Town Manager, Brunswick
- Peter Crichton - City Manager, Auburn