Department of Chemistry
BA in Chemistry - Secondary Teacher Education
This track is for students who want to become certified to teach grades 7-12 chemistry in Maine. Interested students should see the secondary education chemistry coordinator upon acceptance at USM, matriculation, upon choosing a chemistry major, or as early in their time at USM as possible. The curriculum for this track is designed to provide prospective 7-12 teachers with a strong academic foundation in chemistry along with a continuous focus on both the theory and practice of teaching through a sequence of pre-internship education courses and field experiences. It has four components: USM Core curriculum, a chemistry major, professional education courses, and electives totaling 120 credit hours for the degree.
USM Core Curriculum (including pre-internship education courses):
- EYE 108 Culture, Identity, and Education (recommended) (3 cr.)
- EDU 100 Exploring Teaching (recommended) (3 cr.)
- ENG 100 College Writing (3 cr.)
- Cultural Interpretation (3 cr.)
- Quantitative Reasoning - MAT 152 Calculus A (4 cr.)
- Creative Expression (3 cr.)
- Socio-Cultural Analysis - HRD 200 Multicultural Human Development (3 cr.)
- Science Exploration - CHY 113/114 Principles of Chemistry I and lab (4.5 cr.)
- Ethics - EDU 310 Purpose of Schooling in a Democracy (3 cr.)
- Cluster - EDU 305 Foundations of Cultural and Linguistic Diversity, SED 335 Students with Exceptionalities in General Education, and SED 420 Multi-tiered Systems of Educational Support (9 cr.)
- Diversity and International met with EDU 305 and EDU 310 respectively.
Students will satisfy all of the BA in Chemistry requirements except CHY 470. The Professional Education Internship Requirements replace the CHY 470 requirement.
Secondary Teacher Education (7-12) Requirements:
All requirements for the Secondary Teacher Education program, including academic requirements, education courses, content requirements, the professional internship year, and declaration and candidacy can be found here.