Department of Biological Sciences
BS in Biology - Secondary Teacher Education
The Department of Biological Sciences offers a BS in Biology - Secondary Teacher Education Track at the undergraduate level for prospective teachers. This track is offered in partnership with the School of Education and Human Development and is designed to provide prospective teachers with a strong academic foundation in Biological Sciences.
Because this BS in Biology - Secondary Teacher Education concentration is a joint program between the Department of Biological Sciences in the College of Science, Technology, and Health and the USM Teacher Education program within the School of Education and Human Development, there are requirements from both colleges that must be met as well as the university Core Curriculum requirements. Many of these requirements overlap so that the overall credit requirement for this concentration is 115 minimum, depending on any readiness requirements that must be met in your first year, and the specific 200 level or above Biology courses taken. If possible, students should consider taking education elective courses that will support them to become better teachers including, but not limited to, topics such as literacy, technology, understanding and collaborating with families.
USM Core Curriculum (including pre-internship education courses):
- EYE 108 Culture, Identity and Education (recommended) ( 3 cr.)
- EDU 100 Exploring Teaching as a Profession (recommended) ( 3 cr.)
- College Writing - ENG 100 (3 cr.)
- Cultural Interpretation (3 cr.)
- Quantitative Reasoning - MAT 152 Calculus A (4 cr.)
- Creative Expression - (THE 102 Acting for Non-majors or THE 170 Public Speaking recommended) (3 cr.)
- Socio-Cultural Analysis - HRD 200 Multicultural Human Development (3 cr.)
- Science Exploration (4 cr.)
- Ethics - EDU 310 Purpose of Schooling in a Democracy (3 cr.)
- Thematic Cluster - EDU 305 Foundations of Cultural and Linguistic Diversity, SED 335 Students with Exceptionalities in General Education, and SED 420 Multi-tiered Systems of Educational Support (9 cr.)
- Diversity and International met with EDU 305 and EDU 310 respectively
Students in this concentration complete the BS in Biology - General Biology requirements.
Secondary Teacher Education (7-12) Requirements:
All requirements for the Secondary Teacher Education program, including academic requirements, education courses, content requirements, the professional internship year, and declaration and candidacy can be found here.