School of Business
Certificate of Graduate Study in Business Analytics
The Certificate of Graduate Study in Business Analytics prepares students to leverage data to create more efficient business processes and more accurate performance reporting – students learn how to handle and analyse big data to help their companies better compete in the global marketplace. If you have a penchant for business analysis, statistics, modeling or information systems you may wish to consider this certificate.
Students complete fifteen credits of study including twelve credits of required coursework and three credits of elective coursework, selected from a list of approved courses.
Students may pursue a graduate certificate without matriculation in the MBA program. Student who later apply and are admitted to the MBA, may count some or all certificate courses toward the MBA (if the final grade is B (3.0) or higher).
Required Courses (12 credits)
*MBA 504 Probability and Statistics for Business Decision Making
MBA 676 Data Management & Business Analytics
MBA 677 Information Visualization
MBA 699 Data Mining
Elective Courses (3 credits – choose one)
MBA 669 Advanced Marketing Research
MBA 670 Management Science
MBA 672 Supply Chain Management
MBA 675 Production Operations Management
MPH 677 Regression Models in Health Sciences
*Students who have successfully completed a statistics course that covers through multiple regression may waive MBA 504; in which case, the certificate may be completed with the remaining 12 credit hours.
- Bachelor's degree
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
Application Procedures and Required Materials
Application Deadline: Rolling admissions
Applicants are required to provide the following materials:
- Application: Online Application
- Application fee: Waived for all applicants
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended, excluding the seven campuses of the University of Maine System (UMS transcripts are accessible to USM). A transcript is official when sent directly from the institution.
- International College transcripts: In addition to an official copy of the transcript, an official evaluation of college-level transcripts from a NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) approved transcript analysis agency is required
- Resume: Submit a resume or CV that outlines professional, volunteer, and community experience.
- Essay: In a brief essay (300-500 words), please state your reasons for pursuing Certificate of Graduate Study in Business Analytics, your professional goals, and how you think this program of study will contribute to these goals.
- TOEFL or IELTS: Students whose first language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and submit official scores as part of the application process. See additional information below regarding test scores.
In addition to the standard application materials, international students must also provide the following materials:
- College transcript evaluation: official course-by-course evaluation of college-level transcripts from a NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) approved transcript analysis agency
- Declaration of Finances form accompanied by the appropriate financial documentation
- International students whose first language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and submit official scores as part of the application process. Only applicants with TOEFL scores of 79 or higher on the internet-based test 550 or higher on the paper-based test, or 213 or higher on the computer-based test; or IELTS scores of 6.5 or higher will be considered for admission to a graduate program.
English Proficiency Test Scores
Official English proficiency examination scores are required from international applicants and/or applicants whose primary language is not English, unless the applicant has received a degree from an English-speaking institution. The University of Southern Maine accepts the following score reports sent directly from the testing agency. TOEFL scores of 79 or higher on the internet-based test, 550 or higher on the paper-based test, or 213 or higher on the computer-based test; or IELTS scores of 6.5 or higher will be considered for a graduate program.
Where to send transcripts and application materials
Official transcripts and other supporting documents can be sent to:
Application Processing Center
University of Maine System
P.O. Box 412
Bangor, ME 04402-0412
Colleges and universities that participate in electronic submission of transcripts can send official transcripts to email@example.com. Resumes, essays, and other documents can also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a transcript or recommendation to be considered official, it must be sent by the institution or the person writing the recommendation.
MBA 504 Probability and Statistics for Business Decision Making (or equivalent statistics course through mupltiple regression) is a prerequisite to MBA 676 Data Management & Business Analytics.
MBA 676 Data Management & Business Analytics is a prerequisite for MBA 677 Information Visualization and MBA 699 Data Mining.