"Strengthening Maine's Future Through Partnerships in Education"
Community Nursing Partnerships
Regular Undergraduate Nursing Majors take two 2-credit Community Nursing Partnership courses for a total of 4 credits. (NUR 339, NUR 341).
This sequence of courses incorporates the concepts of partnership building, risk identification, and health promotion within a community-based context. Students will collaborate with community partners to develop an understanding of both short- and long-term needs of the community. Problem posing and problem solving will come from the community. Students will engage in ongoing community assessment, support communities in developing long term interventions/approaches, and engage in evaluation of community level practice. Students will identify individuals and families within their communities who would benefit from individual and family-based nursing assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation. Prior to or concurrent with their first partnership course students must take CON 356, Concepts in Community Health.
Students must stay with one partnership, making it important to students to choose a partnership of high interest. If a student leaves or withdraws from one partnership, the student must start the new partnership from the beginning course.
Accelerated BS in Nursing Students take two 2-credit Community Nursing Partnership courses (NUR 436/437) Community Nursing Partnerships for Accelerated B.S. Students for a total of 4 credits. These two sequential courses incorporate the concepts of partnership building, risk identification, risk reduction, and health promotion within a community-based context. Students work with selected communities that are developing long-term solutions to previously identified health problems.
- Amistad Partnership with Marcia Goldenberg
- Bayside Community Partnership with Dr. Su Sepples and Susan R. Clement
- Casco Bay Community Partnership with Dr. Katharine Thayer, Dr. Kimberly Moody, and Jessica Vickerson-Abbatiello
- Dominican Republic (International Nursing Partnership)
- Healthy Aging/Elder Life Program with Noreen Vincent
- Lewiston Community Health: Kennedy Park Partnerships with Karen Chan Zuckerman
- L/A Community CARE Partnership with Cynthia Randall
- Sagamore Health Clinic with Abbey Darus
- Rural Community Partnership with Dr. Patricia Thompson-Leavitt
For questions or comments, please contact us.