School of Nursing
Supplemental content for BS in Nursing - Accelerated Program
The Accelerated Program admits students for the summer only, and courses begin in May. Admission is on a competitive basis.
Application Deadline: October 1
- Notification of Application Decisions: Students will be notified by postal mail by early January.
- Applicants must meet the University’s general undergraduate admission requirements, which can be found in the Admissions section of the Undergraduate Catalog.
In addition to general requirements, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have either attained or will attain before starting the program a baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution; and
- Hold a 3.3 or higher GPA from the most recently earned bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree; and
- Completed college-level courses in Statistics as well as Anatomy and Physiology I (lab not required) and Anatomy and Physiology II (lab not required), with grades of C or better prior to the May start of the program;
- Be able to satisfy the USM Nursing Clinical Health and Background Check Requirements prior to the May start of the program (see the School of Nursing website for further information).
- While not required, completed coursework that is a direct equivalent to Microbiology with lab, Chemistry (lab not required), and Developmental Psychology/Multicultural Human Development will strengthen an application.
- Students should verify that they meet the eligibility criteria listed above. Applicants who do not meet the criteria will not be considered for admission into the BS in Nursing — Accelerated Program.
- Apply to USM
- Current USM students who will graduate in May must apply for re-admission. They should follow the steps for Readmission/Reactivation listed on the online application form.
- Submit the following documents along with the USM Application:
- Online Supplemental Application for Accelerated Nursing; and
- Nursing essay — the essay prompt is described on the Supplemental Application to Nursing; and
- Nursing resume — the resume requirements are described on the Supplemental Application for Accelerated Nursing.
Questions about the application process?
Contact the Office of Admissions with questions about the Accelerated BS in Nursing program.
In addition to reviewing the Course Sequence above, you can view the sample plan of study.
The best way to get to know the University is to visit one of our three beautiful campuses in Portland, Gorham, and Lewiston. Register for a tour today.