The University of Southern Maine (USM) offers a limited number of in-person, on-campus tours on our Gorham and Portland campuses via registration only. Walk-in on-campus tours and Lewiston campus tours are not available at this time. We also offer self-guided campus tours on our Gorham and Portland campuses.
As a university, we are committed to the safety of our visitors, students, faculty, and staff. As a guest, you have an important role to play in safeguarding the health of our community members. Before traveling to campus, please review our University COVID-19 policy and the State of Maine travel and visitor guidelines.
The University of Maine System (UMS) requires the use of face coverings indoors for visitors, faculty, staff, and students. We ask that you bring your own face covering and a water bottle. Water bottle refill stations are available and accessible on campus. Unacceptable face coverings include neck gaiters, bandanas, scarves, and masks with exhalation vents. Review our mask guidelines.
Important details and registration
- Our walking campus tours last approximately one hour.
- We require the use of face coverings before entering University buildings on each of our campuses. Unacceptable face coverings include: neck gaiters, bandanas, scarves, and masks with exhalation vents. Review our mask guidelines.
- We ask that you bring a maximum of two guests with you, to help preserve the health and safety of our community. You and your two guests will be part of a group that will not exceed ten people.
- Please leave pets at home. Only service animals are allowed on campus.
- Dress appropriately for New England weather and wear comfortable walking shoes.
- We require the use of face coverings at all times indoors on each of our campuses. Unacceptable face coverings include: neck gaiters, bandanas, scarves, and masks with exhalation vents. Review our mask guidelines.
- Parking on campus is free of charge.
- On our Gorham campus, visitor parking is available near the water tower.
- On our Portland campus, visitor parking is available in the parking garage attached to the Abromson Community Education Center. The garage entrance is located on Surrenden Street and the Office of Admissions will provide a waiver for the parking fee.
- You and your two guests will get a campus tour, along with seven others.
- A restroom will be available.
If you are ready to come to campus, our in-person, on-campus fall tours will take place between Monday, September 13, and Friday, December 3, 2021.
- All weekday tours will be scheduled between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Weekend tours are not available at this time.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email Julia Gurney, Senior Associate Director for Visits and Events in the Office of Admissions.
Your on-campus tour guides are current University students. Our Ambassadors each bring unique stories, experiences, and skills to help you find yourself here.
Find answers to frequently asked questions about our response to the ongoing pandemic on a dedicated section of our website that is updated regularly.
Take a virtual tour
See for yourself what makes USM a great choice. Take a virtual look around our three distinct campuses in Portland, Gorham, and Lewiston — from anywhere!
Visits & online experiences
We also offer opportunities to learn about our University remotely. Attend an informational webinar, schedule a 1-on-1 video chat with a current student, and more.