USM’s Early Study Aspirations program is a great opportunity for high school students to enroll in college courses at our university that will enrich their high school experience, give them a preview of what it's like to be in college, and save them money by earning college credit while still in high school.
Eligible students for the Early Study Aspirations program include:
- Publicly funded secondary school students or home-schooled students who are Maine residents.
- Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors or Seniors who have not reached 20 years of age before the start of the school year. The school year is defined as starting on July 1st and ending on the following June 30th
- Secondary aged students not attending high school but taking adult education courses in pursuit of a GED or adult education diploma.
- *Note: Excludes any student who has graduated (received diploma) prior to enrollment in the postsecondary course.
Some advantages to participating in the Early Study Aspirations program are:
- Earn college credit
- Qualify for reduced tuition
- Enhance your learning experience
- Become familiar with the college setting
To get started, download the Early Study Aspirations application. There are some private schools and academies that are approved for funding through the Early Study Aspirations program. Students attending any of these schools MUST fill out a Verification of Public Funding Form to hand in with their application materials. Please include a Transcript Request Form with the application materials, as we do not send out grades in any other way.
Students within the Portland School District must complete Post-Secondary Enrollment Option — Request for Payment Form A.
Course Search and Registration
To help you search for classes and fill out the course information on the application, please see the PDF below.
Please Note: Students cannot register themselves for class. USM staff will register students. Fall semester registration begins May 1st. Spring semester registration begins December 1st.
If you have any questions about the Early Study Aspirations program please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Office of Admissions at 207-780-5670.
For schools interested in establishing a bridge or dual-enrollment partnership with USM, please contact Meghan Cadwallader, Director of Educational Partnerships, at email@example.com; 207-780-4992.