Office of Admissions

Transfer Students

  • Transfer to USM
    We welcome your interest in transferring to the University of Southern Maine (USM) and look forward to helping you make the transition. Please contact us or meet with an admissions counselor if you have any questions.

  • What is a Transfer Student?
    A transfer student is an applicant who has attended any postsecondary institution as of the summer following their graduation from high school (or completion of GED) and beyond.

  • How Do I Transfer Credit?
    After a transfer applicant has been admitted, the Office of Transfer Affairs will complete an official transfer credit evaluation. Courses with grades of C- or higher taken at regionally accredited colleges and universities are considered for transfer. Credit evaluations are mailed to accepted students several weeks after admission. Credit is awarded for courses taken; however, grades earned at other institutions are not included in the grade point average at USM. Students must complete a minimum of 30 credits at USM for a baccalaureate degree.

  • What if I have a degree from a community college, or I am in the process of pursuing my degree at a community college?
    In some cases, USM has mapped a way through your associate’s degree and into our Bachelor’s degree programs—these are called articulation agreements. View the list of agreements we have created with the Community College System of Maine. If your degree is not among those in the list at present, you can still transfer your credits to USM using the method described above (under “How Do I Transfer Credit?”).
    If you are still completing coursework for your associate’s degree, we urge you to do two things: 1. consult these agreements to see if you are fulfilling both your community college degree requirements and the USM requirements outlined in these documents, and 2. finish your associate’s degree so that you can take full advantage of these pathways. Lastly, the University of Southern Maine has partnered with Southern Maine Community College (SMCC), Central Maine Community College (CMCC) and York County Community College (YCC) to streamline transfer paperwork. View details about this new program, Connected Pathways.

  • Can Life or Work Experience Lead to Transfer Credit? 
    The Office of Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) helps students earn college credit for work, life, and the military through testing, credential review, portfolio, and other means of assessment. 

  • How to Apply
    Details on the application process can be found on our Apply to USM page.

  • Requirements for Admission
    A cumulative grade point of average of 2.0 is required for admission (applicants with coursework completed at a non-regionally accredited institution must have a cumulative GPA of 2.75). Consideration for admission into certain majors requires a higher GPA. In all cases, emphasis is placed on the most recent course work.

  • Transfer Equivalency Information
    Transfer equivalency information is available online via the MaineStreet student information system. To access the information, please click on Transfer Course Equivalencies under the Quick Links on the left side of the page. The University of Maine System has created a new tool for you to map out your credits with different academic programs. The UMS Transfer Portal allows you to to enter courses you have taken at other colleges and see what they equal at each UMS campus.

    We are constantly adding new institutions and course equivalents to this database. If you do not see your college/university or a particular course listed, and for other information regarding the transfer credit evaluation process, please contact the Office of Transfer Affairs at

  • Reverse Transfer Agreements
    Reverse Transfer is a process where academic credits for coursework completed at a four-year university are transferred back to your community college to satisfy associate degree requirements. Some students transfer into 4-year universities before completing an associate degree at a community college. Through Reverse Transfer, a student’s achievements are recognized with an associate degree after they have transferred to a 4-year school and have accumulated the credits needed to fulfill the 2-year degree program requirements.

  • Maine Community College System 
    The University of Southern Maine (and all UMS universities) hold Reverse Transfer Agreements with all colleges in the Maine Community College System (MCCS). Under this agreement, students attending the University of Southern Maine could be granted an earned Associate Degree from the MCCS college by combining credits from USM with the credits previously earned from their community college.