Teaching Students with Exceptionalities
- Distance-learning format featuring synchronous and asynchronous online options
- Offered by the School of Education and Human Development
- Minimum 42 credit hours (Initial Certification track) or 33 credit hours (In-Service track)
- Fall, Spring, or Summer start
- Connect me with an Admissions Counselor
USM’s Online MS in Special Education is designed for both experienced and aspiring teachers. Our students include:
- Current general education teachers
- Specialty area professionals such as occupational therapists and special education teachers
- Those holding a bachelor’s degree who are seeking a new career in special education teaching
The program offers two concentrations: Initial Certification, designed for new teachers, and In-Service, designed for professionally certified educators.
- Initial Certification: Teaching Students with Mild to Severe Disabilities. Prepares students for two special education teaching certificates: Teacher of Students with Disabilities K-8 and 7-12 (Maine 282) or Teacher of Students with Severely Impaired Students K-12 (Maine 286). Requires student teaching. Apply today.
- In-Service: Special Education, and Gifted and Talented Education. Requires teaching in a teaching position and professional teaching certification. The flexibility of 24 elective credits enables students to tailor their program to their own special education environment. Apply today.
Flexible, online master’s program
Outcomes and opportunities
Our graduates are prepared for special education teacher positions, K-8 and K-12.