Orientation is your opportunity to learn more about USM. During your in-person Orientation session you can expect to:
- Explore our campuses and USM Resources.
- Connect to community, classmates, and new friends.
- Prepare for success in and outside the classroom.
- Learn about yourself and others.
Please Note: Enrolling in courses occurs during your one-on-one Advising & Course Selection (ACS) appointment, which is completed separately from the Orientation events listed below. For information about how to schedule your ACS, please review Next Steps for Admitted Students page or contact us with questions.
Orientation programming for incoming residential students will be folded into the housing move-in process and the first weekend prior to the start of classes.
- Thursday, 8/26/21
- Move-in day & testing for unvaccinated residential students who are living on campus for the first time (new students, transfer students, and returning students who are new to living on-campus).
- Move-in day for residential first-year Honors and Russell Scholars students (both vaccinated and unvaccinated).
- Please note- residential students who require COVID-19 testing will need to quarantine in their dorm room until their negative COVID-19 test is received and confirmed by UHCS and Residential Life.
- Friday, 8/27/21
- Move-in day for fully vaccinated residential students who are living on campus for the first time (new students, transfer students, and returning students who are new to living on-campus). Fully vaccinated is defined as being 2 weeks out from the final dose of an approved vaccination.
- First-year Honors (HON) and Russell Scholars Program (RSP) students special Orientation Day with your Honors and Russell Scholar faculty & staff. Please note that HON and RSP students that are not fully vaccinated will be required to stay in quarantine until their negative COVID-19 test is received and confirmed by UHCS and Residential Life.
- Saturday, 8/28/21
- Orientation Day for all new students, transfer students, and returning students who are new to living on-campus.
- Sunday, 8/29/21
- A day of fun activities, on and off-campus!
- Monday, 8/30/21
- First day of Fall 2021 Classes!
Residential Life needs to know your move-in date by Friday, August 13th at 4:30 pm. To select your applicable date, please go to your MyUSM Campus Portal -> USM Quicklinks -> Residential Life and Housing Portal -> 2021-2022 Housing Portal ->Fall 2021 Move-In Date Registration. Please note that if you are arriving on either 8/27 or 8/29 that you will need to provide verification of vaccination by the August 13th deadline date by visiting the vaccination submission form (External Site) and selecting the “submit vaccination information” option. If you have questions in regards to your vaccination status, please contact USM Health Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
University Orientation Session (Live via Zoom)
Required for all new incoming first-year students, strongly encouraged for transfer & readmitted students.
Listen to required presentations from various university departments.
- Wed., August 18, 5-8 pm, or
- Sat., August 21, 9-12 pm
Campus Visit Days For New Students
Optional for all new students.
Explore the campus, pick-up ID cards, visit offices, and meet with Orientation Leaders!
- Thurs., August 19, Gorham (12-4:30pm) and/or
- Tues., August 24, Portland (1:30-6pm)
Veteran Services will offer a special orientation session on Thursday, August 19, 2021 on the Portland campus. Veteran students will also be required to attend the appropriate Commuter/Online or Residential Orientation Session listed above.
For more information contact:
International Programs will offer a special orientation session on Friday, August 27, 2021. International students will also be required to attend the appropriate Commuter/Online or Residential Orientation Session listed above.
For more information contact:
The university is committed to providing students with documented disabilities equal access to all university programs and services. If you require accommodations to participate in Orientation activities please contact us at email@example.com to make arrangements.
Transportation and Parking
Orientation events occur on each of our three campuses. There is parking available on all campuses. Check out the campus maps to see where you should park.