Congratulations & Welcome to USM!
As a newly accepted new student or transfer student, there are steps that need to be taken before you are able to enroll in courses. Please, take a few minutes to go through the steps listed below in order. This page has active links and tutorials to assist you in the process.
• 1- Activate your University of Maine System and MaineStreet Account: (@maine.edu email)
Please visit: accounts.maine.edu
1. Click Account Activation
2. Enter your Student Identification Number (for example, 0123456). This was sent to you in your acceptance letter.
3. Enter your Activation Key, (ex. Pt73vcrt). This was sent to you in your acceptance letter.
4. Click "Continue" and follow the instructions.
If you need assistance please contact the ITHELP Desk at (207) 780-4029 or view the online tutorial.
• 2- Pay your $100 Enrollment Deposit
The enrollment deposit is required to reserve your place in the entering class. Your deposit will be credited to your student account. Learn more about paying your deposit online or by mail.
After your Enrollment Deposit is posted to the system (1-3 days), you will receive an email notice to access the Online Orientation Module in Blackboard. You can access Blackboard via MyCampus Portal.
• 3- Complete the Online Orientation Module in Blackboard (access after Nov. 1 for Spring 2018 Admits)
Spring 2018 Admits: Students admitted for the Spring 2018 semester will receive more detailed information 1 business day after their enrollment deposit is processed. Please be sure to check your email account frequently.
Summer 2018 Admits: Students admitted for the Summer 2018 semester will receive more detailed information about this step via their Maine.edu email address in late January. Please be sure to check your email account frequently.
Fall 2018 Admits: Students admitted for the Fall 2018 semester will receive more detailed information about this step via their Maine.edu email address in late February. Please be sure to check your email account frequently.
Within 1 business day of your enrollment deposit being posted, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with instructions explaining how to access the Online Orientation Module via Blackboard. You need to complete the first section before you will be invited to schedule an Advising & Course Selection appointment. The "Getting Started" Section of the Online Orientation will cover:
• Financial Aid deadlines and Understanding your Student Account
It is important that you understand the various costs related to your college experience. Tuition and Fees are just part of the total cost and being prepared is key to your success. Student Financial Services is available to assist you.
• Submitting Immunization Records and Verifying Health Insurance (action required)
All students will be required to show proof of having health insurance as a condition of course enrollment or enroll in the Health Insurance program. You will need to either "waive" or "accept" the Mandatory Health Insurance online (Starting June 15th)
• Registering and take a Placement Examination in Mathematics (if applicable)
The USM Math Placement test is required for all students who have a new SAT-Math score below 570 or old SAT-Math score below 550 (or ACT score below 22).
SAT and ACT score results are valid for five years. The placement examination assesses your current skill level in mathematics. The results will be used to assist you and your adviser in determining the appropriate mathematics course for you to take. Schedule your test with Academic Assessment. NOTE: If needed, you will need to take the Accuplacer exam before your Advising Appointment.
• Submitting Final Transcript
All students currently in high school are required to submit an official final high school transcript. Send the transcript to:
University of Maine System Application Processing Center
Please submit all official transcripts from other universities/colleges to the address above prior to your Advising Appointment. We suggest that you also bring an unofficial copy for your advisor to review. For more information, contact the Transfer Affairs office at 207-780-5340.
• 4- Apply for On-Campus Housing (if applicable)
Students who wish to reside on campus must complete and submit the housing application to the Office of Residential Life along with a $75 Housing Deposit as soon as possible and preferably no later than May 1 (our guaranteed housing date for the fall semester) and January 2 for the spring semester.
• 5- Schedule and Attend your Advising & Course Selection Appointment
Students admitted for the Spring 2018 semester will receive more detailed information 1 business day after their enrollment deposit is processed. Please be sure to check your email account frequently.
The Advising & Course Selection (ACS) appointment is a required one-on-one meeting with an advisor. During this meeting students: review academic requirements and path to graduation; discuss the academic advising partnership; navigation of advising tools; discuss key campus and support services; discuss educational & professional goals, and enroll in their first semester of USM courses. It is required for new, transfer, and readmitted students.
Before this appointment can be scheduled you must:
1) Pay your Enrollment Deposit.
2) Complete the Blackboard Online Orientation module. Once you complete the quiz in section 5) you will be able to access the Advising & Course Selection Scheduling form in section 6). Once scheduled, Academic Advising will follow-up with an email and a google calendar invitation with the date, time and location of your appointment. Follow-up emails and invitations are sent to your Maine.edu email address. Please check this account frequently.
ACS Appointments schedule:
- Summer Admits - Start after March 15th
- Fall Admits - Start after May 1st
- Spring Admits - Start December 1st
We strongly encourage you to schedule your ACS appointment early, to ensure that you will have the greatest selection of course subjects and times to choose from.
• 7- Attend Your Orientation Session
University Orientation Sessions bring new student together on-campus to give them a chance to acclimate to USM. These sessions occur shortly before the first day of classes and focus on acquainting the student with the campus, offices, and resources, meeting other students, and taking care of last-minute details.
Infomation for Summer 2018 Admits (Coming Soon)
Information for Fall 2018 Admits (Coming soon)
Questions about Orientation, or any of the steps listed above may be directed to email@example.com or (207) 780-4604