- HRPP Definitions
- HRPP Policies and Procedures
- Risks of conducting Human Subjects Research (external link)
- Program for Readability in Science and Medicine (PRISM)
- Recruitment Material Guidance (pdf)
- The Role and Responsibilities of the Faculty Advisor (pdf)
- Dissertation Checklist (pdf)
- Maine Integrated Youth Health Survey (MIYHS) Confidentiality Agreement (pdf)
- Exemption to UMS W-9 Policy (pdf)
- University of Maine System Institutional Review Policy – IRB Review of UMS Cooperative Research (Section 601)
- Informed Consent Checklist - Summary (pdf)
- Informed Consent Checklist - Basic and Additional Elements (HHS.gov)
- Adult Consent Form Template (docx)
- Adult Waiver of Documentation of Consent Form Template (docx)
- Consent Form for an Anonymous Survey Template (docx)
- OHRP: General Informed Consent Requirements video
- Child Assent/Parental Permission Guidance (pdf)
- Parental Consent Template (dox)
Categories of Sensitive Information
- Information relating to sexual attitudes, preferences, or practices.
- Information relating to the use of alcohol, drugs, or other addictive products.
- Information pertaining to illegal conduct.
- Information that, if released, could reasonably damage an individual's financial standing, employability, or reputation within the community.
- Information that would normally be recorded in a patient's medical record and the disclosure of which could reasonably lead to social stigmatization or discrimination.
- Information pertaining to an individual's psychological well-being or mental health.
- Genetic information.
Special Subject Populations
- Minors (under 18 years of age). Please contact the Office of Research Integrity and Outreach.
- Fetuses or products of labor and delivery
- Pregnant women (in studies that may influence maternal health)
- Individuals with a diminished capacity to give informed consent
Qualtrics (pdf) - USM Only
- Qualtrics is available to anyone with an active @maine.edu email.
- If you are not sure your survey would be considered research, you may Request for Determination of Human Subject Research.
- Qualtircs does mine data results. Contact Qualtrics support to request your survey not be accessed.
NOTE: Online survey providers, such as Qualtrics and Survey Monkey, data mine information from surveys. You may contact their support to request your survey is not affected by data mining.
- SNAP is available to any project reviewed by ORIO.
- The SNAP Server is on campus and not a third party. Best for sensitive data collection.
- University of Maine Information Security Policy & Standards
- UMS APL: Employee Protection of Data (pdf) Type of Data - Type of Device:
- Table 1: Internally Hosted Services (page 7)
- Table 2: Externally Hosted Services (page 8)
- Table 3: End-user Computing Devices (page 9)
- Data Security Standards for Business Sensitive Data Obtained for Research Purposes (pdf)
- Data Security Standards for Compliant Data Obtained for Research Purposes (pdf)
- Administrative Practice: University of Maine Employee Protection of Data (pdf)
- University of Southern Maine and Maine Department of Human Services: MOVEit File Transfer Protocol (pdf)
- Encrypt Microsoft Office documents (pdf)
- UMS OneDrive/SharePoint files are secure. A deleted file may go through a number of stages of deletion, but disappears completely after 93 days.FMI: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/compliance/assurance/assurance-sharepoint-online-data-deletion
- HIPAA Privacy Rule (HHS.gov)
- OCR HIPAA Privacy research (pdf)
- DHHS Protecting Personal Health Information in Research (pdf)
- Institutional Review Boards and the HIPAA Privacy Rule (NIH)
- TIPSHEET: HIPAA Basics (pdf)
- TIPSHEET: Human Subjects and HIPAA (pdf)
University of Maine System and University of Southern Maine HIPAA Policies:
- The University of Maine System HIPAA Policies
- HRPP 016 USM as Business Associate Component Standard Operating Procedure (pdf)
Form Sample Templates: