- Recruitment Material Guidance (pdf)
- Informed Consent Guidance (Consent Templates Included Here)
- Informed Consent Checklist - Basic and Additional Elements (external link)
- Adult Consent Form Template (doc)
- Adult Waiver of Documentation of Consent Form Template (doc)
- Consent Form for an Anonymous Survey Template (doc)
- Program for Readability in Science and Medicine (PRISM) (external link)
- Program for Readability in Science and Medicine (PRISM) Toolkit (pdf-external link)
- OHRP: General Informed Consent Requirements video
- Child Assent/Parental Permission Guidance (Parental Permission Template Included Here)
- Research Involving People with Intellectual Disabilities: Paint it Gray (pdf)
- The Role and Responsibilities of the Faculty Advisor (pdf)
- Dissertation Checklist (pdf)
- International Research (external link)
Categories of Sensitive Information
- Information relating to sexual attitudes, preferences, or practices.
- Information relating to the use of alcohol, drugs, or other addictive products.
- Information pertaining to illegal conduct.
- Information that, if released, could reasonably damage an individual's financial standing, employability, or reputation within the community.
- Information that would normally be recorded in a patient's medical record and the disclosure of which could reasonably lead to social stigmatization or discrimination.
- Information pertaining to an individual's psychological well-being or mental health.
- Genetic information.
Special Subject Populations
- Minors (under 18 years of age). Please contact the Office of Research Integrity and Outreach.
- Fetuses or products of labor and delivery
- Pregnant women (in studies that may influence maternal health)
- Individuals with a diminished capacity to give informed consent
- University of Southern Maine Policies, Procedures and Guidance For Human Subjects Research (pdf)
- Student Classroom Project's Standard Operating Procedures (pdf)
- Social Work Undergraduate Student Projects' Standard Operating Procedure (pdf)
- Protocol Violation Standard Operating Procedures (pdf)
- Unanticipated Problems & Adverse Events Standard Operating Procedure (pdf)
- NonCompliance Standard Operating Procedures (pdf)
- Expired IRB Protocols (pdf)
- Departing Primary Investigator (PI) Standard Operating Procedures (pdf)
- External Investigator Recruitment (pdf)
- MIYHS Confidentiality Agreement - IRB Requirement (pdf)
- Exemption to UMS W-9 Policy (pdf)
- University of Maine System Institutional Review Policy – IRB Review of UMS Cooperative Research (external link)
- Information Security Policies & Standards
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- University of Maine Information Security Policy & Standards (external link)
- Data Security Standards for Business Sensitive Data Obtained for Research Purposes (pdf)
- Data Security Standards for Compliant Data Obtained for Research Purposes (pdf)
- Administrative Practice: University of Maine Employee Protection of Data (pdf)
- University of Southern Maine and Maine Department of Human Services: MOVEit File Transfer Protocol (pdf)
- Encrypt Microsoft Office documents (pdf)
Box is the University of Maine System's implementation of Box.com's cloud collaboration and storage service. UMS Box offers an easy and safe way to store and share files and collaborate with others, both within and outside of UMS.
Research Data That Can Be Stored on Box
- Non-compliant data files
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) data
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) data
- Business Sensitive data not covered by laws or regulation
- Personally, identifiable information
Research Data That Cannot Be Stored on Box
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) data
- Credit card data
- Data governed by export control laws
Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) (external link)
Program for Readability in Science and Medicine (PRISM) (external link)