The Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT) program offers an accelerated pathway for current USM students. The corresponding undergraduate degree options are the Natural and Applied Sciences, Social and Behavioral Sciences, or Health Sciences degree programs. These degrees tend to cover the majority of the MOT prerequisites as part of the degree program and save students time and money.
Students interested in pursuing the MOT Accelerated Pathway complete approximately 85-90 undergraduate credits, usually after approximately three (3) years of full time study. During their junior year, the student would then apply to and go through the interview process for the MOT program. If accepted into the MOT program, the student's final undergraduate year would then overlap with their first year of the master's program, with some credits counting toward both degrees. Acceptance into the MOT program is not guaranteed.
Steps for the accelerated pathway are as follows:
1. Matriculate into one of the aforementioned undergrad degree programs (NAS, SBS, or HLS)
2. Declare the MOT Accelerated Pathway option using this declaration form and return it to the Registrar's Office for processing
3. Complete all college core and academic major degree requirements, as well as the required MOT prerequisite courses
4. APPLY* to the MOT program the year prior to the fall you expect to start
5. If accepted, MOT courses are used toward your undergrad degree's general electives in order to reach the 120 total credits required to earn the bachelor's degree
6. If not accepted, the student will be expected to complete the necessary electives within their undergraduate program in order to obtain bachelor's degree
7. Continue with MOT graduate school coursework (if accepted into the program) and earn your Master of Occupational Therapy degree upon completion of all MOT academic and fieldwork requirements
*APPLICATION TO THE MOT PROGRAM IS REQUIRED. Participation in the accelerated pathway option DOES NOT guarantee admission to the MOT program. Each applicant joins the overall applicant pool for consideration for admission.
If interested in pursuing the MOT accelerated pathway option, talk to your faculty or professional advisor. You can also call (207) 753-6536 to set up an advising appointment on the Lewiston campus for the SBS or NAS degree paths, or call (207) 780-4555 to set up an advising appointment on the Gorham campus for the Health Sciences option. Transfer of any previously earned college credits will also be discussed.