Taught by highly experienced human resource professionals, this certificate program offers a comprehensive view of professional development in the practical application of concepts of compensation, performance management, training and development, personnel law, recruitment, fringe benefits, and labor relations.
This program is designed for entry- to mid-level managers of human resource departments, recruiters and staff specialists, small business owners, and individuals looking to enhance their skills in human resource management.
Consisting of six required courses and twelve hours of electives, this program allows participants to customize the curriculum to match their career and organizational needs.
Required Courses: (79 total hours)
Required courses may be taken in any sequence
- Introduction to Human Resource Management (4 hours)
- Performance Management Systems (15 hours)
- Recruitment and Employment (15 hours)
- Personnel Law (15 hours)
- Managing Training and Development (15 hours)
- Compensation Concepts (15 hours)
Elective courses (minimum of 12 hours): select any combination of Professional Development Programs. Browse our courses.
This certificate program is offered during both the fall and spring semesters.
- Spring 2014
91 contact hours/9.1 CEUs
Total cost of required courses is $1,920 – includes all course materials. Elective course fees vary. Participants register and pay per course.
- Refund policy:
- 100% refund if you withdraw from a class five or more business days before the class starts.
- A course voucher for 50% of the course fee if you withdraw four or fewer business days from the start date.
- There are no refunds once a class begins.
- GI Bill Benefits: This program is currently approved for use of GI Bill Benefits. To use your U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits, please contact USM Veterans Services at firstname.lastname@example.org / 207-780-4826 after you have registered for the certificate program. You can register online, over the phone, or in person.
- WIA Approved: This program is also eligible for funding under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) through the Maine CareerCenters. For more information visit: mainecareercenter.com/employment/training-adults
Track the progress of your certificate program with this form.
Each course within this certificate program is taught by industry professionals. Click on the course descriptions above to view instructor biographies.
After you have met all certificate program requirements, complete the certificate completion form, and we will award your certificate.
- Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)
The world’s largest association devoted to human resource management. Representing more than 250,000 members in over 140 countries, the Society serves the needs of HR professionals and advances the interests of the HR profession.
Human Resources Association of Southern Maine (HRASM)
An affiliate of the Society for Human Resource Management. Whether you are new to the HR field or have many years of experience, this is a local starting point for networking, information, professional development and continued support of excellence in Human Resources.
- SHRM Maine State Council
Affiliate of the Society for Human Resource Management. Chartered in Lewiston, ME. Great site for resources, networking opportunities, and events.