"Women, Science and the Night Sky"
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
2:45 - 4:00 p.m.
at the Southworth Planetarium
FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Reception to follow.
A panel discussion presented by the Women and Gender Studies Program in conjunction with the USM Office for Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity.
"Devil Girls and the History of Astronomy"
Dr. Lucinda Cole, USM Women and Gender Studies
Dr. Robert Markley, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, English
Dr. Julie Ziffer, USM Physics
"Women Scientists Teaching Women Science"
Dr. Nancy Gordon, USM Professor Emerita, Chemistry
Co-sponsored by USM ADVANCE catalyst grant devote to the role of women in the sciences, the Department of Women and Gender Studies, and the Southworth Planetarium.
Attendees are encouraged to attend "Night Sky," a comedic drama written by Susan Yankowitz and directed by Assunta Kent (USM Theater and Women and Gender Studies). Performed in Russell Hall, Gorham Campus October 10 - 13, 2013
Southworth Science Lecture Series 2015-2016: 'What's in Portlander's Trash?" Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
- Admission Prices
- November 2015 Planetarium Show Schedule
- December 2015 Planetarium Show Schedule
Rainy Day? Sunny Day? See a show! We allow same-day group show reservations. Call today and see a show today!
- Birthday Parties at the Planetarium!
- Planetarium Outreach Events
- Planetarium Courses
- Day Courses
- Carolyn Currie Concert Saturday, December 5, 2015
- The Astronomy Cafe
- Ask the Staff Astronomer!
- Night Sky Glossary
- The Stone Circle Society
- Planetarium Membership Program
- DAILY ASTRONOMER IMAGE PAGE
- Daily Astronomer Quiz Archive Page
- Mid Winter's Eve at Stonehenge
- Astro-Photo Gallery
- The Math Zone!
- Fly-by Astrophysics
- Astronomical Research Initiative