During President Cummings' inaugural Opening Breakfast speech to the University on August 27, 2015, he outlined nine goals that USM will pursue over the next five years. The goals, listed below, are ambitious, yet achievable and will ensure the university maintains its academic excellence, dedication to students, high-level engagement with our communities and financial stability far into the future.
- USM will be known for academic excellence with real-world experiences as a core part of its academic program.
- 80% of our students will state that at least one individual (staff or faculty) knows them well, supports them, and believes in them (NSSE, now below 60%).
- 72% of our students will remain at USM between each school year (IPEDS, now 63%).
- 10% of our alumni will give to USM annually (now 2%).
- The USM Foundation will raise $50M in scholarships, infrastructure and investments for our students (now $17M).
- USM headcount enrollment will reach 10,000 (IPEDS, now 7,700).
- USM will be designated as a 'Great College to Work'.
- 80% will recommend USM to others (post grad survey, now 61%).
- USM will establish a sustainable financial model by attaining industry standards attributable to a financially healthy institution.