The Gloria S. Duclos Convocation will be a major University event, launching a full year of events on the theme of Race and Participatory Democracy. This event will include a processional with faculty in academic regalia, a unique recognition of many of our top students, musical performances by students and faculty in our School of Music, and guest speakers, including keynote speaker Dòwòti Désir.
All staff and faculty who are not teaching a class (or involved in the Patient Safety Academy) during the event are expected to attend. All students, alumni, and members of our community are welcome and encouraged to join us for what promises to be an important University event.
A reception will follow the main event.
In the event of inclement weather, the Gloria S. Duclos Convocation will be moved to the Sullivan Recreation and Fitness Complex gymnasium.
- Faculty members are strongly encouraged to nominate up to two student Convocation Scholars. (Nominations are now closed and a final list of Convocation Scholars is available.)
- Classes will not be cancelled during this event.
- All offices will be closed during the Gloria Duclos Convocation, so that staff can attend. This event has been approved for release time.
- Portland offices will be closed from 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM
- Gorham offices will be closed from 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM
- Lewiston offices will be closed from 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM
- Reserved seating will be provided for attendees requiring the service of ASL interpreters. Please email Bob Stein in advance to let us know the number of seats you need.
- Parking will be very tight on September 29. Attendees are encouraged to carpool or take one of the chartered buses from the Gorham or Lewiston campuses. Otherwise, please leave yourself plenty of time to find a parking spot.
- Transportation will be provided to the Portland campus from both the Gorham and Lewiston campuses. Please indicate your interest when you RSVP by September 26.
- A bus will depart Gorham at 8:30 AM for faculty and Convocation Scholars participating in the ceremony.
- A second bus will depart Gorham at 9:00 AM.
- A bus will depart Lewiston at 8:30 AM.
- Buses back to both the Gorham and Lewiston campuses after the event will depart Portland at 1:00 PM.
- Transportation will be provided to the Portland campus from both the Gorham and Lewiston campuses.
- The event will livestreamed.
- Important information for faculty members.
- Important information for Inauguration Scholars.
- Important information for Convocation Scholars.
Please RSVP by September 26.