Vision Statement Draft
The University of Southern Maine (USM) champions the future through the joy and power of learning.
Mission Statement Draft
Committed to the public good, the University of Southern Maine (USM) honors the dreams of our students through academic excellence and exceptional learning experiences in and out of the classroom.
We carry out this mission via our four pillars of academic excellence:
- Future forward curriculum
- Integration of learning and work
- Commitment to service and citizenship
- Focus on mentoring relationships
- About vision and mission statements
- The four pillars of academic excellence are derived from the Provost's Academic Vision
- Nine goals for USM
We introduced these drafts at Opening Breakfast. Both of these draft statements are intended to represent the vision and mission of USM as a whole, not a particular department, program, or constituency. It is very important that these statements reflect and represent our internal and external communities.
We are very interested in hearing your thoughts on each of these draft statements and are seeking input in a variety of manners. We will meet with each of the Senates and are also sharing an online survery with the entire campus community. In addition, we invite you to participate in an open community discussion. The open forums are scheduled as follows:
- Gorham, 10 Bailey: Monday, December 3, 2018, 3:00 – 4:00 PM
- Portland, Talbot Lecture Hall: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 9:00 – 10:00 AM
- Lewiston, room 285: Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 9:00 – 10:00 AM
We look forward to hearing your thoughts at any (or all) of the campus forums or via the online survey.