The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) is an oral exam that is conducted over the telephone with a trained examiner. The exam takes approximately 15-30 minutes, during which the examiner determines the level of proficiency the test-taker has in a particular language, and how long the test-taker can maintain that level.
**USM only administers the ACTFL OPI exam on the Portland campus for current USM students or alumni.**
There are two options for taking this exam:
- Students can take the exam in Luther Bonney Hall on the Portland USM campus. In this case, it will be proctored by the Office for Prior Learning Assessment. The charge for this exam is $145.00.
- Students can take the exam remotely, in which case the testing agency (Language testing international) will engage a third-party proctoring service. A remote-proctored ACTFL OPI costs $145, plus a $20 dollar remote proctoring fee (total charge = $165.00).
If you are interested in scheduling an ACTFL OPI exam, either on the Portland campus or remotely, please fill out the test registration form.
Students earning the following levels of proficiency will be awarded credit at USM:
Intermediate: LAN 1XX (8 credits)
Advanced: LAN 2XX (8 credits)
If a student passes the exam in a language USM offers, then the three-letter prefix for that language will be used instead of LAN. (For example, passing the ACTFL OPI French exam at the Intermediate level will result in 8 credits of FRE 1XX.)
- Students earn credit for the highest level achieved; students may not earn more than 8 credits per language through the ACTFL OPI at USM. Students can earn a maximum of 8 credits per level (100, 200, 300) by exam for each language.
- Credits from ACTFL OPI exams do not fulfill departmental prerequisites for language placement. Students wishing to place into 300-level language courses at USM should contact the Linguistics Dept to take a language placement test.
- Credits earned from the ACTFL OPI do not satisfy the foreign language requirement of the International Studies track in the Political Science major.
The ACTFL OPI is currently available in the following languages:
Afrikaans, Akan-Twi, Albanian, Algerian, Amharic, Arabic, Arabic (MSA), Armenian, Assyrian, Azerbaijani, Baluchi, Bambara, Bangla, Belorussian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Cantonese, Cape Verdean, Cebuano, Chavacano, **Chechen, Chinese Mandarin, Chinese-Cantonese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dari, Dutch, Estonian, Ewe, Finnish, French, Fula/Peul, Fula/Toucouleur, Ga, Georgian, German, Greek (Modern), Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Igbo, Ilocano, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kazakh, Kikongo, **Kinyarwanda, Kirghiz, Korean, Krio, **Kurdish-Kurmanji, Kurdish-Sorani, Lao, **Lingala, Luganda, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Mandarin, Mandingo Malinke, Marathi, Marshallese, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Pashto, Persian Farsi, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese-Brazilian, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian/Croatian, **Sindhi, Sinhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tajik, Tamil, Tausug, Telugu, Thai, Tibetan, Tigrinya, Tunisian, Turkish, Turkmen, Uighur, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Wolof, Yoruba, Zulu
**Limited rater capability – students should plan extra time for scheduling and receiving scores for these exams.
Preparing for ACTFL OPI Exams
The PLA Office recommends all students read Language Testing International's official Examinee Handbook before taking an ACTFL exam.