BYU FLATS is now offering a remote proctor option through Proctor 360. If you choose to use remote proctoring for a BYU FLATS exam please indicate that on your registration for the exam. Please contact the PLA office if you have questions about taking a BYU FLATS exam through remote proctoring. We are most easily reached through email email@example.com to answer your testing questions.
Brigham Young University (BYU) Foreign Language Achievement Testing Service (FLATS) exams offer opportunities to test in over fifty languages. BYU FLATS exams test for listening and reading and do not require knowledge of technical terms or specialized vocabulary. BYU FLATS exams are online tests that have a limit of 2.5 hours.
USM Equivalencies for BYU Language Exam Passing Scores
BYU Flats exams are available in the following languages:
Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Cantonese-Simplified, Cantonese- Traditional, Cebuano, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Fijian, Finnish, French, Georgian, German, Greek, Haitian-Creole, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Ilonggo Hilgaynon, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malagasy, Malay, Mandarin-Simplified, Mandarin-Traditional, Mongolian, Norwegian, Persian-Farsi, Polish, Portuguese-Brazilian, Portuguese-Continental, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Tahitian, Thai, Tongan, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
USM credits are awarded using the following equivalencies:
|101 and/or 102||F||NO CREDIT|
|101 & 102||P, P||LAN 1XX (4 Credits)*|
|101, 102 & 201||P, P, P||LAN 2XX (8 credits)*|
If a student passes the exam in a language USM offers, then the three-letter prefix for the language will be used instead of LAN. (For example, passing the BYU French exam at the 101 + 102 level will result in 4 credits of FRE 1XX.)
Please Note: USM students can earn a maximum of 8 credits per level (100, 200, 300) by exam for each language.
Registering for BYU FLATS Language Exams at USM
- Students first register and pay for their exam ($50.00) at the BYU FLATS Exam website. You will have the choice of taking the exam on the USM Portland campus, or through a remote proctoring option. If you choose to use remote proctoring for a BYU FLATS exam please indicate that on your registration for the exam.
- If you are taking an in-person exam on the Portland USM campus, fill out the proctor information form on the BYU FLATS website using the following information.
Proctor information required when registering for a FLATS exam:
Name: Rusty Dolleman
Department: Prior Learning Assessment
Educational Institution: University of Southern Maine
Address: 253 Luther Bonney Hall, P.O. Box 9300
City, State Zipcode: Portland ME, 04104
- Once you've registered with BYU, you will also need to complete the registration form for USM to schedule a testing time. The testing center is located in rm 240 on Luther Bonney Hall on the Portland campus.
- When you come in for your exam at USM, you must:
- Bring $30 for the test administration fee (the Testing Associate can accept checks, exact cash, or credit cards).
- Have your valid and current driver’s license, passport or other government-issued identification that includes your photograph and signature. You will be asked to show this identification to be admitted to the testing area.