- The Professional Staff Senate is open to all represented and non-represented Professional Staff at USM including UMaine System employees working at USM.
- The Senate consists of up to 20 Senators.
- Senators are elected to serve a 2-year term and may serve a maximum of three consecutive terms.
Senator Nominations & Elections
Please check back in early May 2019 for detaild instructions about the nomination and election process.
- A call for nominations occurs annually in early May.
- Professional Staff will be notified of the call for nominations on the Senate website, and through emails to the Professional Staff list-serve.
- Individuals are encouraged to self-nominate, but you can also nominate others.
- Elections take place in mid to late May, with the term for new Senators beginning in July. All Professional Staff are eligible to vote in elections.
Senate Executive Committee Elections
- The Senate Executive Committee (Chair, Vice-Chair, and 2 Co-Secretaries) are elected by Senators at the June senate meeting.
- All newly elected senators are invited to this meeting so that they can vote.
- The Chair must have served on the Senate for at least 1 year prior to being elected Chair.
Filling Vacated Senate Seats
- If a Senate seat becomes vacant outside of the normal election cycle, it will be filled, per the by-laws, by the candidate with the next highest number of votes who was not originally elected to the Senate.