The Professional Staff Senate is a part of shared governance at the University of Southern Maine. The Senate works to ensure that the voices of Professional Staff at the University (both UMPSA and non-UMPSA) are represented and seek to empower staff in a number of ways.
Scholarship / Professional Development:
- Sponsors events and workshops that assist in the personal and professional development of professional staff members.
- Supports annual scholarships for professional staff members.
- Creates forums for networking and community building among the professional staff.
- Ensures the involvement of the professional staff in policy and information flows, providing advocacy where necessary and appropriate.
- Communicates to the rest of the University community information regarding professional staff.
Awards & Recognition:
- Supports/assures appropriate recognition of the contributions of the professional staff, primarily through the President’s Awards and the Employee Recognition Event.
- Advises/makes recommendations to the President and university leadership on any matter of concern to the professional staff.
- Represents the professional staff on committees, boards, and at appropriate symbolic occasions.
- Supports ongoing antiracism and diversity initiatives at USM, such as through the formation of the Ad Hoc Anti-Racism Subcommittee
Our meetings are always open to any member of the University community. We would love to have you join us!