The work of the Senate is done through several standing and ad hoc committees. Membership on the following senate committees is open to all USM Professional Staff.
Want to join a committee? Please fill out this form to sign up! We'd be happy to have you!
Professional Senate Executive Committee
- Ashley Collins - Chair
- Netty Provost -Vice Chair
- Cindy Hirsch - Co-Secretary
- Michelle Dustin - Co-Secretary
Responsibilities of the Executive Committee are as follows:
- Chair - Conducts monthly ProSen meetings, sets monthly meeting agenda with Executive Committee members, attends monthly Board of Visitors and President's Budget Committee meetings, acts as a liaison and point of contact for other campus committees and Professional Staff members, plans annual retreat agenda with Executive Committee, and presides over retreat activities.
- Vice-Chair - Acts as Chair at meetings as necessary in the event of the Chair's absence. The Vice Chair is a member of the Executive Committee that meets once a month to set meeting agendas and discuss outstanding issues and serves on 1-2 additional committees. The Vice Chair also acts as Treasurer for the ProSen and is the coordinator of the New Employee Program.
- Co-Secretaries - Schedules yearly retreat and monthly ProSen meetings (this includes finding a time that works for all Senators), books meeting rooms (Portland, Gorham, LAC when necessary), sets up videoconferencing between rooms for scheduled meetings, orders food for retreat, takes minutes at all ProSen meetings, sets monthly meeting agenda with other Executive Committee members and sends out minutes and agenda to Senators each month. Creates and distributes relevant information to all new senators (i.e. New Member binders).
Standing Senate Committees
Professional Development Committee
Responsible for offering professional development opportunities for staff. Manages the professional development scholarship.
Time commitment: throughout the year with events and scholarships
ProSen Members: Alex Carrier, Ashley Collins, Camden Ege, Susan Spindler
Employee Recognition Event Committee
Responsible for working with campus partners to plan and execute the employee recognition event in May.
Time commitment: more during the spring semester leading up to the event
ProSen Members: Cindy DeCosta, Judith Ferrante, Marge Jarry, Kelly Stevens, Ashley Collins, Kristi Hertlein
Professional Recognition and Awards Commitee
Responsible for working with previous winners and campus partners to execute the search for nominations, to manage the reference-checking process, perform the initial review of the nominees to prepare them for voting. Engages with new employees in collaboration with HR.
Time commitment: more during the spring semester leading up to the selection of nominees and the recognition event
ProSen Members: Cindy Hirsch, Judith Ferrante, Chris Barr, Naamah Jarnot
Communication and Election Committee (combined at present)
Responsible for correspondence from the Senate to the Institution - fliers, recruitment, programs, website, etc. Responsible for managing new Senate elections each May
Time commitment: more at the beginning and end of year (especially around the recognition awards and event)
ProSen Members: Netty Provost (chair), Michelle Dustin, Danielle Vayenas
Ad Hoc Committees
Senators participate in the work of the larger USM community by representing professional staff on the following University committees:
Alumni: ProSen member: Camden Ege
Assessment Committee: ProSen member: Netty Provost
Board of Visitors: One ProSen member may attend the monthly meeting of the USM Board of Visitors, a group of volunteers that assists the President of the University in a range of activities that help advance the University, including public relations, government relations and fund-raising. ProSen Members: Chris Barr, Michelle Dustin
Budget Advisory Committee: ProSen Member: Netty Provost
By-Laws & USM Governance Constitution Rewrite Committee (newly combined): This committee will oversee the By-Laws, proposed amendments, and associated relationship to the University Governance Document. ProSen Member: Cindy Hirsch
Classified Staff Senate: Members of this committee attend meetings of the Classified Staff Senate and members serve as liaisons between the Classified Staff Senate and Professional Staff Senate. ProSen Member: Chris Barr
Emergency Response Committee: ProSen members: Kelly Stevens, John Reed
Faculty Senate: Members of this committee attend meetings of the Faculty Senate and serve as liaisons between the Faculty Senate and Professional Staff Senate. A ProSen committee member needs to submit a ProSen report (can be minutes of last meeting) to the FacSen chair and secretary via email at least 3 days prior to an upcoming Faculty Senate meeting. ProSen members on this committee should be prepared to stay late on meeting days because they often run beyond 4:30. ProSen member: Ashley Collins
USM Foundation: ProSen member: Camden Ege
Intercultural and Diversity Advisory Council (IDAC): ProSen members: Alex Carrier, Danielle Vayenas
Master Planning Committee: ProSen member: Ashley Collins
Parking Committee: ProSen member: Danielle Vayenas
Space Committee: ProSen members: Kelly Stevens
Student Senate: Members of this committee attend weekly meetings of the Undergraduate Student Senate and serve as liaisons between the Undergraduate Student Senate and Professional Staff Senate. ProSen members: Alex Carrier, Netty Provost
Wellness Committee: ProSen member: John Reed
Traditions Committee: ProSen member: Alex Carrier, Chris Barr
INACTIVE Transportation and Parking Committee: The Transportation and Parking Committee reviews and recommends policies and practices for the management of traffic, parking and transportation services. Its purpose is to guide the development of a systemic transportation plan that incorporates health and safety, green and alternative transportation solutions, cost-effectiveness, and fairness to students, faculty, staff and visitors.
INACTIVE President’s Council on Diversity: The President's Council on Diversity consists of a cross section of faculty, staff and students that advise the President on issues of equity, diversity, social justice, multiculturalism, and inclusion within the university community. The Council welcomes new faculty members. Council membership is a Presidential appointment.
INACTIVE President's Council on Climate Neutrality: The President's council is committed to be a climate neutral institution by 2040, by having a net zero carbon footprint. The committee's work is based around a Climate Action plan, which has specific goals in regards to climate control and works to develop necessary resources and data to meet the institution's goals.